Cichlid Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys. What is your opinion on cichlid stones? Do they like them and use them? I'm slowly adding decor to my tank for a natural look. Thinking maybe some mopani and java fern.

bamadude91 said:
Hey guys. What is your opinion on cichlid stones? Do they like them and use them? I'm slowly adding decor to my tank for a natural look. Thinking maybe some mopani and java fern.

Mine seem to use the cichlid stones only for privacy when mating.My synodontis seem to use them more.Once they get a good layer of algae on them though I think they look pretty good and they also keep weight down in the tank.

img_2040572_0_05ef2240bb6e003e61f0e15506385a44.jpg

I was wondering if you guys could ID my Peacock's species. I'm thinking it's a Red Ruby Peacock.

I've looked at tons of pictures online and can't quite nail it down. Figured you guys would know. This is an excellent forum!

I never figured it would be a hybrid species. I thought it would be a Malawi Peacock. Will I have any problems because it's a hybrid species?

Peacocks are fairly timid, but are still a cichlid none the less. That is definitely an ob peacock, a good looking one at that.

OB peacocks are well known for being passive cichlids so that would be why yours gets on well with your lab.Just don't add aggressive cichlids to the mix.

garfy said:
OB peacocks are well known for being passive cichlids so that would be why yours gets on well with your lab.Just don't add aggressive cichlids to the mix.

I have an OB in a mixed mbuna tank. Not saying it is a good idea, he was bought before I learned he shouldn't be in there, I fell in love with the purple ,white, orange and red calico fish. He don't bother any other fish and they don't bother him.

As far as sexing Bumblebee Cichlids, what can you guys tell me. I've researched and I know about the black coloration of males, etc. Just figured I would ask this bunch of knowledgeable people.
My Bumblebee has a V, or wedge shaped anal fin, and has a couple egg spots. From internet research this indicates a female, correct? I know that egg spots are reliable indicators. Males are going to have more blue coloration on face and dorsal and ventral fins in general?

In the wild egg spots would only exist on males but in the home Aquarium both sexes seem to have egg spots so not the best way to sex them.As for the darker colour I have read ( not experienced as my bumblebees are too young at the moment) that the females can turn almost black too.
This can be a very confusing hobby much like women lol

garfy said:
In the wild egg spots would only exist on males but in the home Aquarium both sexes seem to have egg spots so not the best way to sex them.As for the darker colour I have read ( not experienced as my bumblebees are too young at the moment) that the females can turn almost black too.
This can be a very confusing hobby much like women lol

Haha true
It will be hard to judge the sex for awhile. My male and female looked the same till they got around 1.5-2" they was both yellow then they had got the yellow and blue then one turned black and never turned back.

Back
Top Bottom