Cichlid Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also I found it better if you somewhat crowd the tank! That way its harder for a nasty fish to pick on the same fish till death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'm afraid to put anything in the tank with the Bumblebee. It attacks anything I put in the tank. A couple of my fish have no fins. I'm tempted to take the bully back to the petstore this evening. I can't deal with one fish tearing up others that I've paid $8, $9, $10 for.

bamadude91 said:
Honestly, I'm afraid to put anything in the tank with the Bumblebee. It attacks anything I put in the tank. A couple of my fish have no fins. I'm tempted to take the bully back to the petstore this evening. I can't deal with one fish tearing up others that I've paid $8, $9, $10 for.

Mine doesn't do that it just eats them

It's a pretty fish, and I really don't want to do the process of returning the fish. He's fun to watch. I've got sand in the tank, and he's dug almost all the sand away from the Resin Mopani I purchased at Petco (looks really good and I don't have to deal with curing). I'm adding decor to the tank slowly. I'm thinking of adding Anubias Congensis or Java Fern for greenery.
He's a d***, and highly frustrating. Lol

bamadude91 said:
It's a pretty fish, and I really don't want to do the process of returning the fish. He's fun to watch. I've got sand in the tank, and he's dug almost all the sand away from the Resin Mopani I purchased at Petco (looks really good and I don't have to deal with curing). I'm adding decor to the tank slowly. I'm thinking of adding Anubias Congensis or Java Fern for greenery.
He's a d***, and highly frustrating. Lol

Understood
You may need to get the decor pieces done. Take him out when adding new H. Aggressive Cichlids then put him back in after a couple days. While you have him out spank him. Lol

Question 1: H. ?
Question 2: How should I go about taking care of an injured fish? All the fish's fins are torn to shreds.

bamadude91 said:
Question 2: How should I go about taking care of an injured fish? All the fish's fins are torn to shreds.
1) highly
2) the fins will grow back as long as you took care of the problem of how they got that way

bamadude91 said:

Look up salt baths for fish. I have done this with several injured fish and have also cured ich,and fin rot doing salt baths.

You just gave me a thought. I added the Mopani yesterday. Before that, they were getting along just fine. This morning I find the smaller fish laying on it's side with its fins torn to shred. I'm thinking the Bumblebee took the Mopani has his/her territory and was defending it.

Some maingano would keep that bumblebee in check. I love mine, I call them the body builders of my tank cause of their muscular looking shape.

Thanks guys for all the help! I returned the Bumblebee to Petsmart. The remaining African Cichlids I have are the Yellow Lab and Acei. I love those guys! They like each other's company. I don't plan on adding any more Cichlids in the immediate future. I'm going to learn the ropes with these two guys.
To replace the Bumblebee, I purchased Black Phantom Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras (obviously in a separate tank from the African Cichilds. Just thought I'd make that clear lol) I'm looking for a centerpiece fish for the tank. I'm thinking a Turquoise Rainbowfish. Additionally, my local Petsmart has Endler's Livebearers and I really want a handful of them. Will the Rainbowfish eat the Endler's? From what I've read on the internet, no, but thought I'd check with you guys.

bamadude91 said:
Thanks guys for all the help! I returned the Bumblebee to Petsmart. The remaining African Cichlids I have are the Yellow Lab and Acei. I love those guys! They like each other's company. I don't plan on adding any more Cichlids in the immediate future. I'm going to learn the ropes with these two guys.
To replace the Bumblebee, I purchased Black Phantom Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras (obviously in a separate tank from the African Cichilds. Just thought I'd make that clear lol) I'm looking for a centerpiece fish for the tank. I'm thinking a Turquoise Rainbowfish. Additionally, my local Petsmart has Endler's Livebearers and I really want a handful of them. Will the Rainbowfish eat the Endler's? From what I've read on the internet, no, but thought I'd check with you guys.

It's great to see that you care about your fish and I think the right choice to take back the pseudotropheus Crabro.You have a great positive attitude to your fishes well being.
As for your rainbow fish I think it would be fine with the livebearers however the recommended sticking for rainbow fish is a minimum of 6 in a shoal.

@scott: The injured Cichlid didn't make it. He was torn up pretty bad. I've heard good things about Melafix tho.
@garfy: Hmmm...any other fish that would work well w/ my community tank that would work as the centerpiece?

bamadude91 said:
@scott: The injured Cichlid didn't make it. He was torn up pretty bad. I've heard good things about Melafix tho.
@garfy: Hmmm...any other fish that would work well w/ my community tank that would work as the centerpiece?

I'd try posting in the freshwater general section.I think you'll get more luck there.I tend to focus more on cichlids than anything else :)

Back
Top Bottom