Cichlid Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a Peacock and Lemon CIchlid (they were tank buddies in the pet store) this morning to add to my African Cichlid tank, which already contained a Bumblebee. The Bumblebee has been alone in the tank for roughly two weeks, so he has established the tank as his, I'm sure. Cycling the tank, so I'm adding fish slowly. I purchased the fish roughly the same size. The Bumbleebee is chasing and nipping the other fish as I expected would happen in an African Cichlid tank. How long should I expect the displays of showing who is the boss as a pecking order is established?

You need to remove the peacock and lemon cichlid.Bumblebees are highly aggressive and will bully your new editions.Possibly to death.Better tank mates would be
Auratus
Red zebra
Cobalt blue zebra

These fish will be much more capable of defending themselves.

garfy is spot on. You'll have a blood bath. Trust me! I've lost a lot of fish due to aggression issues and fish being bullied to death. So bad that they've been chased right out of my tank!

Here's a good article.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

I just re read your post. It's not pecking order. The bumblebee will continue until the others are dead. That's his tank and you threw 2 peaceful in the tank that won't be able to handle themselves IMO you need to remove them ASAP.

Last edited:
I wish I had seen that article earlier!!! I was under the impression that all African Cichlids are aggressive and as long as they were from the same lake they would be compatible.
For the moment I have left the Peacock and Lemon in the tank and removed the Bumblebee. The Bumblebee is in a pitcher for the time being. I've fallen in love with my Bumblebee. I guess my only option is to see if the pet store will take the fish back? I don't have an extra aquarium. I purchased them at Wet Pets. I can call and see, I guess. What species will work with the Bumblebee?

Imo you need to remove the bumble bee It gets to big for the 40. Not sure about the peacocks off the top of my head :) so con and garfy are right here.

Aight. Thanks for the info guys. You have to believe me, I did research for over a week. I missed some info. I'm a newbie and it's a trial-by-error process. The Lemon Cichlid and Peacock Cichlid are too pretty to take back to the pet store, so I'm either going to try to find another tank on sale for a highly aggressive cichlid tank, or rehome the bumblebee.
For the future, what species will be good tank mates for the Lemon and Peacock? And Auratus, Cobalt, and Red Zebra are good aggressive tank mates for the Bumblebee?

Your gonna need at least a 55 for a bumblebee.I would recommend a 90 and yes
Auratus
Red Zebra
Cobalt blue Zebra

Basically any mbuna that is rated as very aggressive will work.
Dont get more than one make Auratus as they will not co exist in the same tank.

Do you know what type of peacock you have?
I would recommend more peacocks.
You've already mixed 2 lakes so maybe you could go for a fairy cichlid as well

Actually, the pet store employee misidentified the Cichlid. I have a Yellow Lab, not a Lemon Cichlid as he told me. I new the fish was Yellow Lab when I purchased the fish. I assumed Lemon Cichlid was another name for the Yellow Lab. They are two different species (a reason to never trust what pet store employees tell you).
So, both the Peacock and the Yellow Lab are from Malawi. Does that make any difference for tank mates?

A 40 gallon is way too small for almost all cichlids. You will have water issues which turns into disease issues. Or at the very least ugly stunted fish with faded colors. Peacocks grow larger then mbuna but aren't as aggressive as mbuna. So they never go together. I know one person who keeps them together without killing eachother and he has a 300 gallon tank. You can either upgrade (craigslist is awesome for that) or rehome the fish you have and look into shell dwellers and other dwarf cichlid.

bamadude91 said:
I wish I had seen that article earlier!!! I was under the impression that all African Cichlids are aggressive and as long as they were from the same lake they would be compatible.
For the moment I have left the Peacock and Lemon in the tank and removed the Bumblebee. The Bumblebee is in a pitcher for the time being. I've fallen in love with my Bumblebee. I guess my only option is to see if the pet store will take the fish back? I don't have an extra aquarium. I purchased them at Wet Pets. I can call and see, I guess. What species will work with the Bumblebee?

Wet pets? So your in the cannonsburgh area. If so id be willing to donate you like a 20 high and some basics to house him til you can figure something out if you don't wanna get rid of them or perhaps some trades. I'm in the wheeling area

I know that's nothing to keep them in permanently but its something for a few weeks or couple months : /

I appreciate the offer. I live in Montgomery, AL and we have 3 pet stores: Petsmart, Petco, and Wet Pets. I didn't know we had a Wet Pets in the city, but it's been around since the '70s. I purchased a 10g aquarium from Walmart yesterday ($29.95. Great deal btw lol) to house my Bumblebee for the immediate future. It will eventually become a small community freshwater tank.

Pseudotropheus crabro grow really fast, mine have grown 2.5 inchs since Feb. So it wont be able to stay in a 10 for very long. Just giving you a heads up

Back
Top Bottom