Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamtron2000 View Post
Dimensions are 12"x30" 22" high. The problem is clearly with the species (and tank size). Do stores exchange fish? What other suggestions do you have? By the way yes the tank was cycled properly. I don't believe the problem is coming from parameters. Thank you so much for the reply
I dont mean to burst any bubbles here, but that tank is going to be playing a major role in the aggression. Before i set up my 75 gallon for my mbuna, i had 5 yellow labs and 4 acei (both are the more peaceful species of mbuna) in a 29 gallon (same 30x12" bottom as yours). They were getting to be pretty aggressive in there, although no casualties. Once i finally got them into the larger tank they have always been peaceful since. They were all around 1.5-2". Alot of your species are also generally alot more aggressive, so thats going to make things very tense in there as they dont have the space to have multiple territories. I know you said that you are aware the tank is too small, but i just wanted to chime in with my experiences since it was clear even with the more peaceful species that the space made a difference. I was searching for any mbuna that could fit in a tank with that space on the bottom and i couldnt come up with anything for less than 36" wide. Sorry :/

Old 11-29-2015, 02:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
I dont mean to burst any bubbles here, but that tank is going to be playing a major role in the aggression. Before i set up my 75 gallon for my mbuna, i had 5 yellow labs and 4 acei (both are the more peaceful species of mbuna) in a 29 gallon (same 30x12" bottom as yours). They were getting to be pretty aggressive in there, although no casualties. Once i finally got them into the larger tank they have always been peaceful since. They were all around 1.5-2". Alot of your species are also generally alot more aggressive, so thats going to make things very tense in there as they dont have the space to have multiple territories. I know you said that you are aware the tank is too small, but i just wanted to chime in with my experiences since it was clear even with the more peaceful species that the space made a difference. I was searching for any mbuna that could fit in a tank with that space on the bottom and i couldnt come up with anything for less than 36" wide. Sorry :/

Thank you! I appreciate that advice. I think my best option right now is to give away the cichlids I have now. Do local stores like Petco or Petsmart take them?

Old 11-30-2015, 02:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure about those stores. The private fish stores around me never have any problems getting free fish lol assuming they're healthy anyways. If you like cichlids, maybe look into the Rams like the Bolivian for a tank that size. I wish my water was a bit softer so I could keep some

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

You could also get a pair of angels and create a small community tank. Just make sure the Angels are the only mid water swimmers and you should be fine. Get some cory's or loaches (not clown) and a small pleco and you are set for a very tranquil tank.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpalmer View Post
You could also get a pair of angels and create a small community tank. Just make sure the Angels are the only mid water swimmers and you should be fine. Get some cory's or loaches (not clown) and a small pleco and you are set for a very tranquil tank.
A pair of angelfish in a 37 should be by themselves. But a solo angelfish with a school of smaller fish and a school of corydoras or kuhli loaches or zebra loaches- that would be great.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
A pair of angelfish in a 37 should be by themselves. But a solo angelfish with a school of smaller fish and a school of corydoras or kuhli loaches or zebra loaches- that would be great.

Really? I don't agree, based on my personal experience...

Bottom feeders should really be fine, i would choose Cories over Loaches because of the fact that a mean Angle can hurt a Loach easier (the Loaches don't have scales) and Cories live in the same place naturally.

Some of the medium-sized, non-nippy Tetras (Rummynose, Cardinal, Neon Tets are all pretty good choices) or Rasboras should be quick enough and small enough to live with Angels. I wouldn't get a big school though, i wouldn't do more than like 7-8.

I would refrain from other Cichlids, of course, as well as any larger fish or anything that nips. Slow fish arent going to fare well either.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
I'm not sure about those stores. The private fish stores around me never have any problems getting free fish lol assuming they're healthy anyways. If you like cichlids, maybe look into the Rams like the Bolivian for a tank that size. I wish my water was a bit softer so I could keep some

As long as they are tank-bred they should be fine... If the are tank-bred they really only need food Nitrates levels and the right temp.

Although GBR are pretty tricky in the best of waters...

Old 11-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post

Bottom feeders should really be fine, i would choose Cories over Loaches because of the fact that a mean Angle can hurt a Loach easier (the Loaches don't have scales) and Cories live in the same place naturally.

Some of the medium-sized, non-nippy Tetras (Rummynose, Cardinal, Neon Tets are all pretty good choices) or Rasboras should be quick enough and small enough to live with Angels. I wouldn't get a big school though, i wouldn't do more than like 7-8.

I would refrain from other Cichlids, of course, as well as any larger fish or anything that nips. Slow fish arent going to fare well either.

A spawning pair of angels is going to be tricky in any community tank. A 37 gallon is only slightly more space than a 29 gallon which is what is typically recommended for a solo pair of angelfish. So I would not do a pair of angelfish in a community tank of that size.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post

Angels eat neon tetras in the wild and are typically a poor choice to live with angels, as are cardinals or any other 1" or under schooler, such as a majority of the rasboras. I personally would agree with sinbotia, I would do a pair, and add a group of cories to the bottom, or a single adult and add a school of heavier bodied terra, such as lemon, pristilla, penguin, etc.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Angels eat neon tetras in the wild and are typically a poor choice to live with angels, as are cardinals or any other 1" or under schooler, such as a majority of the rasboras. I personally would agree with sinbotia, I would do a pair, and add a group of cories to the bottom, or a single adult and add a school of heavier bodied terra, such as lemon, pristilla, penguin, etc.

I do know they eat Neons...

They may or may not in the aquarium. But usually not until the Angels are bigger sized.

Tags
aggression, cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com