Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cichlid aggression - I need help to fix this!

I have 37 gallon Mbuna tank -- I know it's not large enough. About a year ago I ordered 12 "compatible" assorted cichlids from livefishdirect.com and I believe I ended up receiving 11. I could tell right away there was an unbalance. I'm down to 6 cichlids. 5 males and 1 female. Not a good ratio. I have great filtration (450 gph) so I'm thinking I might be able to handle adding lots of females to balance? I was dumb getting a 37 gallon. Just let me know exactly what you guys think I should do to make this tank the best it can be.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

More than just the male to female ratio which u already pointed out, what breed of cichlids are they? Some pictures to help u id them or if you know that would really help.

For example auratus are very different than yellow labs in aggression. Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tpalmer. I have 3yellow labs and an auratus. They have been living harmoniously for three weeks to the day. Is there something I should keep an eye on aggression wise?

Old 11-28-2015, 01:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

As of now there's one auratus, one kenyi, one blue cobalt, one red zebra, one electric yellow, and an albino Snow White socolofi. I'll try to get some pictures posted
Old 11-28-2015, 01:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpalmer View Post
More than just the male to female ratio which u already pointed out, what breed of cichlids are they? Some pictures to help u id them or if you know that would really help.

For example auratus are very different than yellow labs in aggression. Let us know.

As of now there's one auratus, one kenyi, one blue cobalt, one red zebra, one electric yellow, and an albino Snow White socolofi. I'll try to get some pictures posted
Old 11-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

If anyone reads this post I'd love some input on what I need to do.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Auratus- killer jerk
Kenyi- big jerk
Red zebra- big jerk
Blue cobalt- jerk
Socolofi- medium personality

You have several dominant aggressive fish. The fact that six have died already is a direct indicator of male aggression to subdominant fish. Just adding females won't fix the issue, its a species problem. What are the dimensions of the 37? Its smaller than I like to keep mbuna in. Are you up for exchanging any?

On a side note was the tank properly cycled?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Auratus are infamous for being very aggressive and territorial. Kenyi are similar. Red zebras are relentless bullies. The blue cobalt is a zebra that is slightly less aggressive than the red zebra. Socolofi are ok and electric yellow (I'm guessing a yellow lab) are very docile.

Tedisabum: when the auratus gets bigger (like two to three inches) cross you fingers and hope it stays yellow which means it's a girl. They are less aggressive and may give the yellow labs a chance. Other than that trade in the auratus for some acai or similar temperament mbuna.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you. So far it's very yellow. I have a few pictures of it in my albums. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
Auratus- killer jerk
Kenyi- big jerk
Red zebra- big jerk
Blue cobalt- jerk
Socolofi- medium personality

You have several dominant aggressive fish. The fact that six have died already is a direct indicator of male aggression to subdominant fish. Just adding females won't fix the issue, its a species problem. What are the dimensions of the 37? Its smaller than I like to keep mbuna in. Are you up for exchanging any?

On a side note was the tank properly cycled?

Dimensions are 12"x30" 22" high. The problem is clearly with the species (and tank size). Do stores exchange fish? What other suggestions do you have? By the way yes the tank was cycled properly. I don't believe the problem is coming from parameters. Thank you so much for the reply

Tags
aggression, cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com