Cichlid aggression - I need help to fix this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamtron2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 37 gallon Mbuna tank -- I know it's not large enough. About a year ago I ordered 12 "compatible" assorted cichlids from livefishdirect.com and I believe I ended up receiving 11. I could tell right away there was an unbalance. I'm down to 6 cichlids. 5 males and 1 female. Not a good ratio. I have great filtration (450 gph) so I'm thinking I might be able to handle adding lots of females to balance? I was dumb getting a 37 gallon. Just let me know exactly what you guys think I should do to make this tank the best it can be.

More than just the male to female ratio which u already pointed out, what breed of cichlids are they? Some pictures to help u id them or if you know that would really help.

For example auratus are very different than yellow labs in aggression. Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tpalmer. I have 3yellow labs and an auratus. They have been living harmoniously for three weeks to the day. Is there something I should keep an eye on aggression wise?

As of now there's one auratus, one kenyi, one blue cobalt, one red zebra, one electric yellow, and an albino Snow White socolofi. I'll try to get some pictures posted

More than just the male to female ratio which u already pointed out, what breed of cichlids are they? Some pictures to help u id them or if you know that would really help.

For example auratus are very different than yellow labs in aggression. Let us know.

As of now there's one auratus, one kenyi, one blue cobalt, one red zebra, one electric yellow, and an albino Snow White socolofi. I'll try to get some pictures posted

If anyone reads this post I'd love some input on what I need to do.

Auratus- killer jerk
Kenyi- big jerk
Red zebra- big jerk
Blue cobalt- jerk
Socolofi- medium personality

You have several dominant aggressive fish. The fact that six have died already is a direct indicator of male aggression to subdominant fish. Just adding females won't fix the issue, its a species problem. What are the dimensions of the 37? Its smaller than I like to keep mbuna in. Are you up for exchanging any?

On a side note was the tank properly cycled?

Auratus are infamous for being very aggressive and territorial. Kenyi are similar. Red zebras are relentless bullies. The blue cobalt is a zebra that is slightly less aggressive than the red zebra. Socolofi are ok and electric yellow (I'm guessing a yellow lab) are very docile.

Tedisabum: when the auratus gets bigger (like two to three inches) cross you fingers and hope it stays yellow which means it's a girl. They are less aggressive and may give the yellow labs a chance. Other than that trade in the auratus for some acai or similar temperament mbuna.

Thank you. So far it's very yellow. I have a few pictures of it in my albums. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Auratus- killer jerk
Kenyi- big jerk
Red zebra- big jerk
Blue cobalt- jerk
Socolofi- medium personality

You have several dominant aggressive fish. The fact that six have died already is a direct indicator of male aggression to subdominant fish. Just adding females won't fix the issue, its a species problem. What are the dimensions of the 37? Its smaller than I like to keep mbuna in. Are you up for exchanging any?

On a side note was the tank properly cycled?

Dimensions are 12"x30" 22" high. The problem is clearly with the species (and tank size). Do stores exchange fish? What other suggestions do you have? By the way yes the tank was cycled properly. I don't believe the problem is coming from parameters. Thank you so much for the reply

Dimensions are 12"x30" 22" high. The problem is clearly with the species (and tank size). Do stores exchange fish? What other suggestions do you have? By the way yes the tank was cycled properly. I don't believe the problem is coming from parameters. Thank you so much for the reply

I dont mean to burst any bubbles here, but that tank is going to be playing a major role in the aggression. Before i set up my 75 gallon for my mbuna, i had 5 yellow labs and 4 acei (both are the more peaceful species of mbuna) in a 29 gallon (same 30x12" bottom as yours). They were getting to be pretty aggressive in there, although no casualties. Once i finally got them into the larger tank they have always been peaceful since. They were all around 1.5-2". Alot of your species are also generally alot more aggressive, so thats going to make things very tense in there as they dont have the space to have multiple territories. I know you said that you are aware the tank is too small, but i just wanted to chime in with my experiences since it was clear even with the more peaceful species that the space made a difference. I was searching for any mbuna that could fit in a tank with that space on the bottom and i couldnt come up with anything for less than 36" wide. Sorry :/

I dont mean to burst any bubbles here, but that tank is going to be playing a major role in the aggression. Before i set up my 75 gallon for my mbuna, i had 5 yellow labs and 4 acei (both are the more peaceful species of mbuna) in a 29 gallon (same 30x12" bottom as yours). They were getting to be pretty aggressive in there, although no casualties. Once i finally got them into the larger tank they have always been peaceful since. They were all around 1.5-2". Alot of your species are also generally alot more aggressive, so thats going to make things very tense in there as they dont have the space to have multiple territories. I know you said that you are aware the tank is too small, but i just wanted to chime in with my experiences since it was clear even with the more peaceful species that the space made a difference. I was searching for any mbuna that could fit in a tank with that space on the bottom and i couldnt come up with anything for less than 36" wide. Sorry :/

Thank you! I appreciate that advice. I think my best option right now is to give away the cichlids I have now. Do local stores like Petco or Petsmart take them?

I'm not sure about those stores. The private fish stores around me never have any problems getting free fish lol assuming they're healthy anyways. If you like cichlids, maybe look into the Rams like the Bolivian for a tank that size. I wish my water was a bit softer so I could keep some

You could also get a pair of angels and create a small community tank. Just make sure the Angels are the only mid water swimmers and you should be fine. Get some cory's or loaches (not clown) and a small pleco and you are set for a very tranquil tank.

You could also get a pair of angels and create a small community tank. Just make sure the Angels are the only mid water swimmers and you should be fine. Get some cory's or loaches (not clown) and a small pleco and you are set for a very tranquil tank.

A pair of angelfish in a 37 should be by themselves. But a solo angelfish with a school of smaller fish and a school of corydoras or kuhli loaches or zebra loaches- that would be great.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A pair of angelfish in a 37 should be by themselves. But a solo angelfish with a school of smaller fish and a school of corydoras or kuhli loaches or zebra loaches- that would be great.

Really? I don't agree, based on my personal experience...

Bottom feeders should really be fine, i would choose Cories over Loaches because of the fact that a mean Angle can hurt a Loach easier (the Loaches don't have scales) and Cories live in the same place naturally.

Some of the medium-sized, non-nippy Tetras (Rummynose, Cardinal, Neon Tets are all pretty good choices) or Rasboras should be quick enough and small enough to live with Angels. I wouldn't get a big school though, i wouldn't do more than like 7-8.

I would refrain from other Cichlids, of course, as well as any larger fish or anything that nips. Slow fish arent going to fare well either.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure about those stores. The private fish stores around me never have any problems getting free fish lol assuming they're healthy anyways. If you like cichlids, maybe look into the Rams like the Bolivian for a tank that size. I wish my water was a bit softer so I could keep some

As long as they are tank-bred they should be fine... If the are tank-bred they really only need food Nitrates levels and the right temp.

Although GBR are pretty tricky in the best of waters...

Bottom feeders should really be fine, i would choose Cories over Loaches because of the fact that a mean Angle can hurt a Loach easier (the Loaches don't have scales) and Cories live in the same place naturally.

Some of the medium-sized, non-nippy Tetras (Rummynose, Cardinal, Neon Tets are all pretty good choices) or Rasboras should be quick enough and small enough to live with Angels. I wouldn't get a big school though, i wouldn't do more than like 7-8.

I would refrain from other Cichlids, of course, as well as any larger fish or anything that nips. Slow fish arent going to fare well either.

A spawning pair of angels is going to be tricky in any community tank. A 37 gallon is only slightly more space than a 29 gallon which is what is typically recommended for a solo pair of angelfish. So I would not do a pair of angelfish in a community tank of that size.

Angels eat neon tetras in the wild and are typically a poor choice to live with angels, as are cardinals or any other 1" or under schooler, such as a majority of the rasboras. I personally would agree with sinbotia, I would do a pair, and add a group of cories to the bottom, or a single adult and add a school of heavier bodied terra, such as lemon, pristilla, penguin, etc.

Angels eat neon tetras in the wild and are typically a poor choice to live with angels, as are cardinals or any other 1" or under schooler, such as a majority of the rasboras. I personally would agree with sinbotia, I would do a pair, and add a group of cories to the bottom, or a single adult and add a school of heavier bodied terra, such as lemon, pristilla, penguin, etc.

I do know they eat Neons...

They may or may not in the aquarium. But usually not until the Angels are bigger sized.

Back
Top Bottom