Cichlid and corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way I have a new 55 gal.cycling now and tring to get some stocking ideas

Have you looked into Rams or Apistogramma? They aren't giant Cichlids (aptly named Dwarf Cichlids) and always have great color. They also hail from the same areas as Corys, so the water parameters will be similar. Lastly, dwarf cichlids do just fine with plants without being destructive.

Something that is on the 4 " size with lots of color and will be foregiving with some plants. Thanks

Something in the Cryptoheros or Amatitlania genus would work well, such as nanoleteus, sajica, panamensis, or chetumalensis.

Attachments

• imagesCA1AO06B.jpg
    imagesCA1AO06B.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 92
  • user27198_pic41002_1344210941.jpg
    user27198_pic41002_1344210941.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 77
  • imagesCAOIFSH2.jpg
    imagesCAOIFSH2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Cryptoheros_nanoluteus_brooding_female.jpg
    Cryptoheros_nanoluteus_brooding_female.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 76
All dwarf cichlids seem to ignore Cory,s, they might get a chase every now and then. Keyhole, Festivum and Rainbow Cichlids are also good with Corys.

thanks for the help all , How about Fire mouth ?

I'd go with a different species of that genus, like Elliotti or aureum, IMO better colors and personality

Cleithracara is my genus of choice ;) I have a bit of an obsession with keyholes hahaha when in doubt, keyhole it out

So go east, preuss' in east Lansing is where I got my first couple, the second and third couples from Fantastic fins in Livonia, and my last couple from Fish doctors in Ypsilanti

Festivum, angels, rams, apisto, rainbows, uaru, fire mouth, keyhole, geophagus...and more but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.

Festivum, angels, rams, apisto, rainbows, uaru, fire mouth, keyhole, geophagus...and more but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.

Uaru and geos are not good with plants, especially not uaru, plus good luck finding them in the state of Michigan. Mine is the envy of several fish keepers around here lol
My uaru has destroyed all my jungle Val (which was a lot) and started pulling out my crypts. Geos are known to uproot plants when larger

Ok so I changed my game plan, I stocked with 1 firemouth ( want to get another ) 6 tiger barbs and a clown pleco. The clown has ich so I am treating now but I want to get more. Any ideas?

55 gal
300 w heater
Fluval 406
Aquaclear 300
Aquatic 70
Ph 7.8
Gh 12

Preuss Pets is a great place to get fish at. I have never bought cichlids from them but have been there multiple times. I live about 15 to 20 minutes from it. I would always suggest going there if you can, last I knew though you need to bring a water sample because they will not allow you to buy fish unless they also test the water. Not sure if that is still true, I would suggest calling to make sure though.

Preuss Pets is a great place to get fish at. I have never bought cichlids from them but have been there multiple times. I live about 15 to 20 minutes from it. I would always suggest going there if you can, last I knew though you need to bring a water sample because they will not allow you to buy fish unless they also test the water. Not sure if that is still true, I would suggest calling to make sure though.

Definitely not. They're also really high priced, I still prefer Fantastic Fins in Livonia. Best quality fish and species you won't find any where else. Spent 5 hours there helping the owner and talking with him, both owners are great guys

Back
Top Bottom