cichlid buffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I have 2 red zebras, 2 blue johannii and a common pleco. I was wondering if anyone has used cichlid salts and or buffers. If anyone has advice please share. Thanks

No, I do not use any additives with my Africans. Our pH and hardness is naturally very high. If you are wanting to increase the pH or hardness, add crushed coral to the filter. It is natural and will work slowly.

My tap pH is 7.4, medium hard, but it drops pretty quickly in a loaded tank if untreated. I use 1 Tbsp epsom salt, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 Tbsp plain salt to 5 gallons water for my africans. Stability is the main thing, rather than specific pH/hardness values. Using this mix w/weekly water changes, about 1/3 tank volume, keeps it consistent. It will hold it longer, if you miss a scheduled change, but it's always best to keep the water changed as well.

toddnbecka said:
My tap pH is 7.4, medium hard, but it drops pretty quickly in a loaded tank if untreated. I use 1 Tbsp epsom salt, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 Tbsp plain salt to 5 gallons water for my africans. Stability is the main thing, rather than specific pH/hardness values. Using this mix w/weekly water changes, about 1/3 tank volume, keeps it consistent. It will hold it longer, if you miss a scheduled change, but it's always best to keep the water changed as well.

Agreed. I start with RO water for my tanks, and use 1 tsp Epsom salt, 1 tsp "proper pH 8.2" (used to use baking soda but I like this stuff better), and 1 tsp Instant Ocean per 5 gallons. I also add one tsp of CichlidVital, but that doesn't affect the parameters.

I got the original "recipe" from here.

i suggest doing away with your "additives" and using natural substance.
You fish will be much happier and healthier.

I have not used any additives yet. I wanted to get advice first. I am now thinking of going with crushed coral to raise the ph and then just leave it there. Also possible some cichlidvital. I wont be using any salts since this is a planted tank and I have MTS in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom