Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cichlid compatability

I currently have 5 neon tetras, 1 leopard Cory and 2 gouramis, I really like the kribensis, German & Bolivian rams, would These fish be compatible for my tank?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
I currently have 5 neon tetras, 1 leopard Cory and 2 gouramis, I really like the kribensis, German & Bolivian rams, would These fish be compatible for my tank?
I also would like to know if a 94 litre tank is big enough to have a dozen or so cichlids??

Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I also would like to know if a 94 litre tank is big enough to have a dozen or so cichlids??
No theyll injure or kill each other that's only 23.5 gals
With your current stock I wouldn't add anything else until you rehome some fish and get it all straightened out
Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Today I took both gouramis back to the pet store as the male was too aggressive towards most of my fish. I bought male and female gold rams, male and female kribensis and a glass catfish. So far this community is very peaceful which I'm delighted with and also bring a lot of color to my tank.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Today I took both gouramis back to the pet store as the male was too aggressive towards most of my fish. I bought male and female gold rams, male and female kribensis and a glass catfish. So far this community is very peaceful which I'm delighted with and also bring a lot of color to my tank.
Congrats! I have stuck with just one ram to avoid any breeding aggression. My other stock is very passive. However, I would love to see those brighter colors! Maybe someday.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Hi Conrad.

Just a word of warning. While your tank is cycling it is better to wait for the cycle to complete using some hardy fish such as tetras or danios. Try to avoid adding fish until it completes. Rams can be very sensitive to Nitrites which I don't think youve started accumulating yet due to the age of your tank.

Keep testing water parameters daily using the API master freshwater kit. (do you have this one?)

When Ammonia gets higher than 0.25, or nitrite gets higher than 0.25 or if nitrates get higher than 40 you need to do 50% water changes to bring them back to safe levels.

Jon
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Jon, when I took the gouramis back today I asked the lady at pontarddulais garden centre to test my water and she said its perfect so that's the reason I added more fish today. The rams are much more placid than I'd expect for a cichlid, the kribensis seems more active than the rams so I'm very happy with my latest additions.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thanks Jon, when I took the gouramis back today I asked the lady at pontarddulais garden centre to test my water and she said its perfect .
I would highly recommend purchasing your own testing equipment.

API FRESHWATER MASTER TRSTING KIT. Is the standard used by us here on AA.

Did the lady use a testing strip?

Or did she use a liquid drop test?

Jon
Old 06-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

She used strips Jon, il get one of those kits tomorrow mate, thanks for the tip.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
She used strips Jon, il get one of those kits tomorrow mate, thanks for the tip.
Honestly i dont think the strips are as accurate as the drops, the api master kit is better than perfect for what you have! They have a reef one as well, makes everything so much easier if you can test it yourself! Good luck

Tags
cichlid, compatability, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com