Cichlid Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was a while ago in a small cramped tank. I think a fire mouth would do just fine. A Midas would be to aggressive it would kill a Jd easy. I also think a Green Terror is to aggressive for the JD. But I believe a Salvini would work well! I would get 2 of any species though just because if they end up breeding even 2 small Salvinis will kill a JD.

Salvinis are more aggressive than GT's from what I have read. I cant say for sure because I have never owned a GT (don't really like them) but salvinis are one of the more aggressive cichlids. I have seen GT's successfully kept with JD's. I have a salvini and Fire mout hwith mine. However the Firemouth is much larger than both the JD and the salvini right now.

If this JD is really aggressive you do not want it with a firemouth. Firemouths are generally wussies. Don't get me wrong I love mine but they aren't that aggressive and cannot defend themselves against a JD.

Midas are more aggressive than JD's that is the whole point get one that is smaller than the JD and it might work.

What you want is fish that are more aggressive than your JD but smaller because this is his home turf, his established territory, and he will start something if he can. But you don't want something that will kill your JD. A smaller more aggressive fish will stand up to the JD but generally wont start something with the JD.

It's just my opinion in a tank that size I think a firemluth will be ok. I'm not sure I had a GT had to get rid of him he was ruthless and attacked everything.

It's just my opinion in a tank that size I think a firemluth will be ok. I'm not sure I had a GT had to get rid of him he was ruthless and attacked everything.

They are nasty but What was your GT with? Do you own a fire mouth. because firemouths name alone makes them sounds like a bad a$$ but they are quite chicken and they fight by bluffing (flaring there gills) they are also much smaller.

I have had firemouths and they were always little asses. But the Gt was with a JD and a convict. I just think they would do fine with all that room plenty of hiding places and vision obstruction in his tank.

I have had firemouths and they were always little asses. But the Gt was with a JD and a convict. I just think they would do fine with all that room plenty of hiding places and vision obstruction in his tank.

Interesting, Different fish do have different personalities my experience with firemouths is different. GT get much bigger than convicts so I can see that happening.

My opinion is a smaller GT will be fine they are aggressive but wont dominate the JD. Firmeouth's mouths are made for sifting sand and not fighting so if it does lip lock with a JD they will loose their mouth.

I do have a firemouth with my JDs but the Firemouths are twice the size of my JDs. My JDs haven't shown any aggression. So it might work in your tank but I wouldn't advise it. I would stick with more aggressive cichlids that are currently smaller than your JD. Another option is a Red Festea or Red terror. The females stay smaller than JD but can hold their own with an aggressive Jack.

Interesting, Different fish do have different personalities my experience with firemouths is different. GT get much bigger than convicts so I can see that happening. My opinion is a smaller GT will be fine they are aggressive but wont dominate the JD. Firmeouth's mouths are made for sifting sand and not fighting so if it does lip lock with a JD they will loose their mouth. I do have a firemouth with my JDs but the Firemouths are twice the size of my JDs. My JDs haven't shown any aggression. So it might work in your tank but I wouldn't advise it. I would stick with more aggressive cichlids that are currently smaller than your JD. Another option is a Red Festea or Red terror. The females stay smaller than JD but can hold their own with an aggressive Jack.
No offence intended Rivers2k but a full grown Female Festae wouldn't just hold her own she'd utterly dominate a JD.

Agreed a red festae or red terror would kill that jack easily and at the time the GT and cons were still the same size the GTs were just evil.

Back
Top Bottom