Cichlid Compatibitly Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In a 29 Gallon Cichlid tank with some rock would the follwoing fish and a Dwarf bristle nose pleco be compatible.

I will put the links after the names of the fish.

Blue Caerulus
htttp://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1667

Melanochromis Elastodema
http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=758

Albino Yellow Lab
http:/cichlid-forum.com/profilies/species.php?id=1668

Krib
http:/cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1350

Sand Sanwa
http:/cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=700

Cobue
http:/cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371

Cobalt Zebra
http:/cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=787

I cannot have all of these tank would be overcrowed am going to pick my favorites out of them just need to know if they are all compatible.

Thanks so much everyone! :)

Dan :)

Hi Dan~
First, your question is no more important than anyone else's; hence I changed the thread title. Secondly, please refrain from using such phrases as "very important" because people will get used to it and then members that REALLY need immediate help may not be helped as quickly. I'm sure you've heard of the boy who cried wolf :wink:

On to the subject at hand--African cichlids.
Except African Cichlid Tanks Where The Fish Try To Kill Each Other All The Time
Yikes! With proper research, you can find compatable cichlids and offer them a good home, using the decor they need.

Of the fish you have listed, I only own the lab and krib and they are not in the same tank. After reading all the descriptions, I will tell you that 29 gals is too small. Many cichlids are sold as hybrids, so you don't know what you are getting. It's happened to me. My husband and I used to have a few Lake Malawi cichlids in a 29 gal and it did not work out. Once they were given an 80 gal tank and a small fortune in lace rock, we seem to have a compatable community (and everytime I say that something goes wrong :throwing salt over shoulder: :knocking on wood: :clearing the house of ladders and black cats:)

For your tank, I strongly recommend going with Lake Tang cichlids~I have some of mine in my gallery. They have a different pecking order and have striking body types and coloration.

Ok. Sorry about putting important.

By the way that is intended to mean like melanchromis aurtucs meanish fish.

Should probably take it down.

will they go ok with a krib

By the way that is intended to mean like melanchromis aurtucs meanish fish.
:?: :?: :?:
Is that a fish you are considering? If so, strike that from your list immediately. They will attempt to take down fish twice their size.

Just reread what you were saying. Some cichlids are territorial and aggressive because of it. Some cichlids treat tank mates as food items and there's no amount of decor you can add to a tank to get the aggression level down. Some cichlids simply cannot love with other fish and M. auratus is one fish that I would never keep in a community of cichlids.

will they go ok with a krib
Which fish?

Oh i got a question could i have 1 lake malwi cichlid maybe......? Are most tangynias compatible.

BTW you know a ton about cihlids-how many cihlid tank do you have.

BTW you know a ton about cihlids-how many cihlid tank do you have.
Too many. One Lake Tanganyikain tank (with two kribs)--make that 2 tanks. One 10 gal multifasciatus (shellie) tank and the other is 20 gals with two Julidochromis transcriptus, three ocellatus (shellies) and the two kribs. Of course the shellies are breeding and all the other fish are frightened on the other side of the tank :roll:
Then there's the 80 gal Mbuna tank--many pics in my gallery. The 50 gal community tank has 2 pairs of rams and assorted apistos along with a lot of bottom dwellers. Oh! My Badis badis tank has a pair of rams and the 10 gal hex in my office has a pair of german blue rams. I put cichlids in all my tanks, except the brankish tank.

Aside from all that, my husband and I have owned other cichlids that did not make it or we had to give away. I also read about them. One can never do too much reading on the fish they want to own!

Oh i got a question could i have 1 lake malwi cichlid maybe......? Are most tangynias compatible.
Just like other cichlids, YMMV. Some are terribly aggressive and some can live in harmony. If you want a Lake Malawi cichlid, I recommend the yellow labs with the kribs.

If there are any other fish you have in mind. Do some research and then post here.

Keep in mind that the 'kribensis' (Pelvicachromis pulcher) and its relatives are African riverine cichlids and are NOT found in the African Rift Lakes like Lake Tanganyika or Lake Malawi. As riverine fish, 'kribensis' do not overly appreciate the hard, alkaline water that most Rift Lake cichlids prefer. This doesn't mean that they can't live in it....but it certainly doesn't provide them the environment that they prefer.

This doesn't mean that they can't live in it....but it certainly doesn't provide them the environment that they prefer.
Although this is true, with fish being bred in local water conditions, they are pretty removed from where they evolved.

Dan, based on this and other threads you have started, it seems that you are really interested in kribensis. In that 29gal I would consider making it a species-only kribensis tank to get yourself started with the species, if you have not set the tank up yet. They really are fascinating fish and make a very interesting tank, without diving in to a complicated stocking plan.

You could set up some flower pots for them or rocky caves (Menagerie has had some trouble possibly related to flower pots, but they just need some place hidden to spawn) and have your bristlenose pleco, and a few tough schooling fish (tiger barbs, maybe, or congo tetras) and see how you like them. You may then wind up with spawn and consider setting up another tank with other cichlid tankmates, after you have more experience with the kribs.

Just a thought - :)

TG is right, there will always be time to add more fish :D You can start with kribs and then add community fish or whatever in a few weeks. Heck, they may start spawning by then and you won't want to add more fish :mrgreen: The shellies I bought for my husband's b-day spawned within two weeks and now there are fry in the tank and the parents chase everyone around :!:

Thanks for the great replies everyone and Menagrie I would NEVER Consider an Aurctus, i know they are little devils.

Tankgirl good idea, and the tank is not even bought yet just a ver yserious consideration, will proablly dive into.

I HAVE MTS!!!!!

Shellies are incredible to watch, very funny antics. :lol:
I am trying hard not to buy another tank and to wait for either my 15 or 33 to become free some day, so I can start a shelly only tank. Really I am not going to get another tank, really...

You know I started off with a chichlid tank and had them all for about a year then they mysteriously started dying off. I was frantic checking my water all parameters were normal. I checked the gravel for any metals like a coin or something contaminating the water. I refrained from buying any more fish till I solved this problem. Well after all the restless nights i realized that 2 of the other fish were getting huge while the others were always hiding and getting bullied.

And those two fish were the last ones left and they went on to grow very quickly. Finding the right chichlid combination is tricky i ended up with a Zebra and an Orange Lab. Zebra was female Lab was male and they made some very cool babies. So it seems to me that if you do keep many cichlids together its almost better to buy them when they are small and let them grow up with each other but you may still have a couple of rogue fish in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom