Cichlid depression.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aski247

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so it sound weird I know. But....

Due to work and a social life I am often out and about for extended hours. 12+.

When I return home.(only at night time) when I turn on his tank light I notice he is often (I'd say 80% of the time) sluggish and pale in color.

His water conditions are all in order. The only time it changes is after live feedings. Which is once a month.

He is a single fish, and it truly does seem like he is just totally bummed out I was gone. After about 5 mins he is back to his normal self chasing me around the tank wanting to murder me (or playing as I like to call it).

I do show his tons of attention as he is my fav of all my tanks. I'd say roughly 1-2 hours a day.

Could this really be what it is? I don't know how else to explain this other then my poor guy is just lonely during the time I'm out.

Most all fish get pale and sluggish when the lights go off. Thats normal. It sounds like he is just "sleeping."

When I turn the lights on in my community tanks, some fish are pale and take awhile get going, some are swimming around like nothing happened. It varies. It totally sounds to me like the fish is just resting when you turn on his light. Also, some fish colors will show up paler than others. It depends on the exact type of pigment/light reflection that makes up the color of that fish.
Assuming all the water params are in order (which you said they were) and the tank is big enough, I wouldn't worry about it.

Makes total sense. I guess it kinda just struck me as odd when getting home tonight after a long day and seeing him not so happy to see me as me to him. (ugh.. Such a fish nerd) haha

Does he play with toys? Some of them will push around ping pong balls and stuff. I genuinely think he is fine, but you could try a ping pong ball or floating ring for him if it makes you feel better. :)

Nice! I think they are pretty cute with ping pong balls, though I can understand the sounds getting annoying. :)
Well, its a good sign that is playing with it though. That is just further evidence that he is a happy fish. :)

Well thanks for helping put my mind at ease... I know it's silly to think that. Sleeping does seem more like a rational explanation. And I hope he's happy my fish are so spoiled rotten. I swear they eat better then I do. I don't remember the last time I bought shrimp for myself... And I love shrimp!!! Hahaha.

No worries. Its always better to ask and put your mind at ease than to sit and worry about it. You sounds like a really good fish mom though. :)

Back
Top Bottom