Cichlid Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dw427

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What kind of cichlid pellets are the best? Any specific brands that you prefer over others? Not sure if it matters, but it is for a Convict.

I always find pellet foods to be messy. They seem to lay heavy in the gravel if not eaten. Hikari is a good brand. The one with the oscar on it, not the african cichlid.

Convicts would appreciate a variety of different foods. I mix a good flake food like Omega One or Ocean Nutrition and a frozen food like brine shrimp or glass worms. Beef heart is good and always make sure they get their veggies. Veggies keep their digestive systems clean and helps prevent blockage (constipation). Just like with us...LOL.

A simple feeding routine totalling no more than two minutes worth of food per day is enough. Better to feed small portions several times a day instead of one large feed. More nutrients are absorbed and used by the fish and less wasted and helps maintain healthy nitrate levels.

My little female convict loves Omega One pellets, and Hikari cichlid gold pellets. I've never had any even get down to the substrate, my cichlids make really short work of them. :lol:

Any kind that has a lot of protein in it is good for a cichlid. I use Omega One and my Oscar (who, believe it or not is picky) loves them! :)

ooohhhhhhh convicts convicts convicts "oh there hardy-there great with others-you wont have any problems bla bla bla bla bla" ive herd it all first you dont have two do you? if so how many?but anyway back to the point my convicts will eat anything they prefer flakes though i think its Wardleys Cichlid flakes

oscarbreeder said:
IMO New Life Spectrum cichlid formula can't be beat. :D

orderring some from Petsolutions.com this week...never fed it to my cichlids but i hear nothing but good things about it...

not too sure about convict diet, but i understand they eat freeze dried bloodworms, tubifex...

africans are mostly herbivores and can't have TOO much protein...

hrm, I use several types of food for my cichlids...

everyday food
frozen spirulina algae cube, ocean nutrition
spirulina flakes, ocean nutrition
shrimp pellets
algae wafers

as treats (usually one of these a day at some time)
brine shrimp
krill
mysis shrimp
shrimp, pieces that i feed to my anemone, they get the scraps

anyways, they all swarm anything I feed.. they especially love the shrimp.. its just regular shrimp from the store, which is always followed up by spirulina flakes to help them digest it.

i find that variety is the spice of life, especially for cichlids. they all are brightly colored, very healthy looking, and I have fry on the way from 3 of them..

anyway convicts are central american NOT african and they need lots of protien and i would acualy sudjest a goldfish for a treat every once in a wile

I never feed mine feeder fish- with the conditions in which feeders are kept, who knows what kind of diseases they could bring to your tank? Plus, cons don't get that big, it would have to be a really small goldfish. :?

Back
Top Bottom