Cichlid feeding opinions needed..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have only had a cichlid tank for a few weeks, and I have been feeding them daily. usually pellets and some sort of frozen food like brine shrimp, bloodworms, beefheart or krill. Is this ideal for my cichlids? Please view my profile for a list of fish in the tank. Also, as Im doing more research I realize the lfs sold us cichlids from multiple lakes. However, they all seem to be doing really well. Advice and opinions welcome:)

Can't see your profile bc im on my phone. If you have mbuna you don't want too feed them too much protein.

current stock:55 gallon cichlid tank with 1 african lamp congeonsis,1 leleupi cichlid, 2 yellow labs, 1 kennyi, 1 peacock and a few others I cant remember there species name at the moment:)

Stop the frozen food asap imo. Malawi bloat isn't fun and by the time you realize you have it, it is often too late yo save the fish. I wouldn't feed any food higher than 40% protein. If you want to give them a treat try blanched zucchini or blanched deshelled peas.

Really? The research ive done online says they are carnivores?

Peacocks are carnivorous and yellow labs are insectivorous. Not sure about the others.

However, the kenyi is a herbivore and does best on a veggie-based low-protein diet (less than 40% protein content if available). If these and other algae grazing mbuna's are in the tank, the diet has to cater to them or risk them acquiring the often fatal malawi bloat.

what food would you recommend for a herbivore and insectivourus? and how often of the would you offer the high protien foods?

Also, I was able to identify more cichlids I have in the tank. a Jewel. a texas. 2 borleyi. Now, there are only 2 I havent Identified.

missie said:
current stock:55 gallon cichlid tank with 1 african lamp congeonsis,1 leleupi cichlid, 2 yellow labs, 1 kennyi, 1 peacock and a few others I cant remember there species name at the moment:)

Your leleupi and congeonsis are from lake tanganyika in Africa. It's a rift lake and the two species in question graze on awfuchs (tiny plants/ animals incrusted on rocks) you can replicate their diet by feeding veggie flake/pellets or mysis shrimp or spirulina enriched brine shrimp. But as far as the Malawi cichlids you have I'd watch their protein intake.

missie said:
what food would you recommend for a herbivore and insectivourus? and how often of the would you offer the high protien foods?

NLS Cichlid daily. Only a pinch... as much as they will eat in 30 seconds. Blanched veggies as mentioned above as a treat. I would eliminate the high protein foods altogether.

Cant beat normal Cichlid pellets and then a treat maybe once a week, I buy krill and they love it. All this would be good for your fish, on the normal just feed pellets.

Peas, zucchini, seedless cucumber, carrots. I have heard of feeding canned green beans but personally never have.

Discusapisto said:
Your leleupi and congeonsis are from lake tanganyika in Africa. It's a rift lake and the two species in question graze on awfuchs (tiny plants/ animals incrusted on rocks) you can replicate their diet by feeding veggie flake/pellets or mysis shrimp or spirulina enriched brine shrimp. But as far as the Malawi cichlids you have I'd watch their protein intake.

Correction: your congeonsis cichlid is a riverine cichlid from Africa in areas of the Congo it's not the tanganyikan one I was thinking of oops:)

Discusapisto said:
Correction: your congeonsis cichlid is a riverine cichlid from Africa in areas of the Congo it's not the tanganyikan one I was thinking of oops:)

Does my congeonisis still need a protien level under 40 percent

Does my congeonisis still need a protien level under 40 percent

That protein content percentage guideline is for herbivorous lake malawi mbuna's, of which the fish in question is not.

However because you have at least one herbivorous mbuna in the tank the foods provided to the fish in this tank will have to cater to it (the kenyi) unless you can spot feed the rest (which may be hard to do in a cichlid tank).

NLS Cichlid formula (previously recommended) is a good food to provide to cichlids of various dietary needs.

kay-bee19 said:
That protein content percentage guideline is for herbivorous lake malawi mbuna's, of which the fish in question is not.

However because you have at least one herbivorous mbuna in the tank the foods provided to the fish in this tank will have to cater to it (the kenyi) unless you can spot feed the rest (which may be hard to do in a cichlid tank).

NLS Cichlid formula (previously recommended) is a good food to provide to cichlids of various dietary needs.

I agree:) NLS is good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom