Cichlid filtration. Your thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting a new cichlid aquarium. I've had a 46 gallon for years but it's time for an upgrade. So I purchased a 90 gallon aquarium and can't wait to get it going. I have an idea about what im going to use. I'm just curious about what you guys think about filtration. This is one of, if not the most important aspect of a cichlid tank and any feedback would be appreciated. Wanna know your thoughts and opinions. Ready, 1...2...3.... Go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the tank is pre-drilled then a Wet-dry/ sump is the way to go. If not then dual Fluval 405/6, or Fluval FX 5/6 would do nicely.

Can't go wrong with a giant canister.
Either an FX6 or whatever that green thing is ?

What kind of cichlids?

How much flow do you want?

I would go a pair of FX6's on a 90.

That being said, I love extra filtration and one would probably be plenty.

Want lots of flow. Gonna keep mbuna. I was thinking the fx6. I would have put a sump but was told they actually don't do much for cichlids. Better to go with the beefy canister filter.

Also wanna put mp40s.

Want lots of flow. Gonna keep mbuna. I was thinking the fx6. I would have put a sump but was told they actually don't do much for cichlids. Better to go with the beefy canister filter.

Sumps don't do much for freshwater unless you have a wet-dry component with it. Sump combined with a larger canister would be idea. I know that's how HUKIT would run his larger Cichlid tanks.

Not to get off topic but what kind of rock would you say is ideal

Besides 1 or 2 canisters I recommend and aquaclear 70 or 110. I find having 1 of these makes it much easier to use polishing pads or what ever you might need to use. Much simpler to just open the top and pull the media out and change the polishing pad in this and just use the canister for coarse and bio media. My polishing pads get plugged up fairly quick and I know if I had to bust open a canister as often as I change the polishing pad I would let it go too long.

But isn't that why people get the canisters. Because they don't need to change the media as often. I don't clean mine that often and my water is perfect and my fish breed like crazy. I agree the hang on the back filters are way more convenient though. But do they do as good of a job as the canisters?

But isn't that why people get the canisters. Because they don't need to change the media as often. I don't clean mine that often and my water is perfect and my fish breed like crazy. I agree the hang on the back filters are way more convenient though. But do they do as good of a job as the canisters?

I wouldn't use a HoB on anything more than 30G.

I clean my FX6 monthly, just squeeze out sponges, slosh about the Biomax and bleach the Purigen if it's needed.

I've never used an Eheim but I've heard that they're much more robust than the Fluval's, I wouldn't disagree with this at all.

Make sure you meet a canisters requirements to keep it working 100%.

I have an ehiem and it works great. Water is clean and seems like this thing will never die. The model I have is hard to keep clean though. The fx6 look so easy to maintain.

I have an ehiem and it works great. Water is clean and seems like this thing will never die. The model I have is hard to keep clean though. The fx6 look so easy to maintain.

Sure, it's easy to clean. You can't argue with the strongest flowrate and only maintain 12 times a year..

I wouldn't use a HoB on anything more than 30G.

I clean my FX6 monthly, just squeeze out sponges, slosh about the Biomax and bleach the Purigen if it's needed.

I've never used an Eheim but I've heard that they're much more robust than the Fluval's, I wouldn't disagree with this at all.

Make sure you meet a canisters requirements to keep it working 100%.

That's why I said besides the canisters I would not use the HOB as a main filter on a tank of that size either. It just don't hurt to have a back up if you go with 1 canister. Its just my opinion. As you say you do maintaince on yours monthly and it works great but I have had people say they only open theirs every 3 months. Again just my opinion.

I like the tanks that use both. And you can't go wrong with more filtration. And Ya with the canister I know people tend to get lazy with the maintenance. Because it's such a pain in the but. I totally appreciate your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom