Cichlid fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

normal9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all I'm interested in starting a new breeding tank and would like your opinions on which species to get.

What is the easiest egg layer to breed?

I've heard convicts are easy but will they be able to survive in my community tank afterwards?

Hi all I'm interested in starting a new breeding tank and would like your opinions on which species to get.

What is the easiest egg layer to breed?

I've heard convicts are easy but will they be able to survive in my community tank afterwards?

So ur gonna try breeding cichlids or other fish as well? Depends on what u have in ur community tank. If u have small fish, some convicts may bully them around like crazy.

Just cichlids at the moments. I've been breeding mollies but want an egg layer to try.

I've got 6 neon tetra, 3 bloodfin, 2 mollies, 1 german blue ram and 1 crowntail betta in my community tank

Just cichlids at the moments. I've been breeding mollies but want an egg layer to try.

I've got 6 neon tetra, 3 bloodfin, 2 mollies, 1 german blue ram and 1 crowntail betta in my community tank

When the convict babies grow older, they may not do to well with the tetras. The ram and beta should get along fine with convict. The bloodfin and Molly depends on how aggressive the convict is when fully grown.

How big to they grow compared to an adult molly fish?

If they are aggressive I don't think I could handle them being huge lol

When the convict babies grow older, they may not do to well with the tetras. The ram and beta should get along fine with convict. The bloodfin and Molly depends on how aggressive the convict is when fully grown.

Putting a breeding set of cons in a community tank is a death sentence for the other fish. They get EXTREMELY aggressive after laying their eggs. There have been times at which a pair of breeding convicts has taken down a fully grown Oscar. Even when it's not breeding time, they are still highly aggressive. Your current stock could not hold up to the wrath of a convict - they are pound for pound some of the nastiest fish out there. Really, they should only be housed with similarly-tempered cichlids, however some people have been able to keep a single convict with larger, more aggressive barbs. But just to repeat myself, there is no fish that should be kept with a mating pair.

Wow ty for the advise. Think ill look. For a different cichlid to breed then

If your going to breed convicts you have to have a tank just for them . Super aggressive with other fish when they have fry . I have 2 breeding pairs and they have separate tanks. And they breed like rabbits

Yeah I do but I wanted to grow the fry to adults in the community tank so I need something mellow lol

Back
Top Bottom