Cichlid fry question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DESE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just stripped holding female into a segregation holder in my main tank. After holidays I don't have cash to waste Right now. Think they will be ok in there with crushed up flake food?

Attachments

• image-2595050155.jpg
    image-2595050155.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2218727360.jpg
    image-2218727360.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 106
Hopefully they are too big to fit through the slots on the sides? They should be ok for right now, I think... :)

Yes they will. Also can feed brine shrimp-eggs and micro bacteria.

they can't fit in the slots I tried. The other fish are just relentlessly trying to get at them lol. Felt bad for the mom first time stripping one so was scared to hurt her

Attachments

• image-4200052919.jpg
    image-4200052919.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 104
Be careful, their bodies won't fit through the slots but their tails will! I woke up one morning to find all my babies without tails...I was devastated! The fish had gotten ahold of the tails and pulled the babies, so the babies were wedged in the slots...dead of course.

Going to just go get a cheap 5 or 10gallon but not sure on what kind of filter I should get. Any recommendations ? I read you need those foam filters but wouldnt want to mess with drilling or attempting to figure out how to have the hole put in the bottom of the tank. Is there anything that I can use that I can hook up top the tank ?

DESE said:
Going to just go get a cheap 5 or 10gallon but not sure on what kind of filter I should get. Any recommendations ? I read you need those foam filters but wouldnt want to mess with drilling or attempting to figure out how to have the hole put in the bottom of the tank. Is there anything that I can use that I can hook up top the tank ?

This is the sponge filter I mentioned.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111229_070227.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111229_070227.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 80
I hate to ask this as an owner of my chiclid tank for about a year lol

Creating the new fish tank with the foam filter If I use the current water in my main tank how long before putting the fry In the 10g? How long should I let it run or just start off fresh ?

DESE said:
I hate to ask this as an owner of my chiclid tank for about a year lol

Creating the new fish tank with the foam filter If I use the current water in my main tank how long before putting the fry In the 10g? How long should I let it run or just start off fresh ?

Your water from the main tank has very little bb, use freshwater. If you can take some decorations out of your main tank it might help to jump start the 10 gal. Your best bet is start a fishless cycle.

what you could do is take some of the media/pads from the main tank and put them in the 10, then put some of the newer pads/media into the big tank. it will speed up the cycle AND make for a cleaner filter in the big tank.

cute babies! however, i suggest removing the grate in the centre of the box so they have more swim space. then, you can cover the grating on the top with a small piece of flat plastic so they wont jump out the top. i used protractor and random piece of plastic, cos the auratus fry kept jumping.

also, to protect the fry, you could buy a cheap net breeder box and either transfer them to that, or wrap the net around the plastic box to save their tails :) xxx

Thanks, yea I had removed the grate after I took these. I ddidnt know I could do that until I looked at the box.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I can already see them growing after a few days and watching them eat is cool

Here are pics of mom. She finally came out of hiding. Her and the dad stay inside a castle. The male stays at the door and chases anyone away. There are a couple fry loose in there that I didnt manage to get out of her mouth when I stripped her.

Attachments

• image-916913404.jpg
    image-916913404.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image-42826438.jpg
    image-42826438.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom