Cichlid fry - YAY/Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flippergonzo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

This weekend I discovered 3 fry in my cichlid tank. Once I realized that they were there, I moved them over to a small (2.5 G) tank right away. I suspect that they are Melanochromis (based upon what I suspect is the mom staying hidden with them). I'm looking for a couple of suggestions...

First, 2.5 G obviously is not big enough for them for any length of time. To raise them until they're old enough to move in with mom and dad (and the others) how big a tank will I need?

Secondly, how long do I need to keep them isolated? I've heard people say that as long as they're too small to fit in the other guys mouths then they're safe....I don't really trust that rule.

Once they're big enough, they'll be going with everyone else in my 90G tank.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jef

i would keep them in qt so to speak to atleast an inch long, i would say atleast 20g imo

Really? Only an inch? They're pretty close to that already (they've probably been around for a while and I just missed them), I'd say 3/4 inch or so.

i kept a 30 or 40gal under my 140gal for the breeders, scoop the mom out with the fish in the mouth put them in the smaller tank, wait till she spit them out and mover her back to the larger tank. and cuz my peacocks and taiwain reefs breeded like rabbits i would leave them in the 140gal and they would hide in and around the larger rocks. my gf and I would get the flashlights out and shine them in and see them hiding in the back.

Interesting. I have a 90G so not a lot of room underneath for a breader tank that size. We decided to go with a smaller 16G bow front tank. Having moved all the babies over, they're doing really well.

One stupid/scarey moment though. When I set up the new tank (moved filter media and water over from an existing tank to avoid a cycle) I forgot to plug in the heater. OOPS! Got up the next morning to a tank that was only 16 degrees celcius! (I think that's about 66 degrees F)

Everyone made it though!

yeah.....i started a new tank once like u did, with water from a cycled tank on ly i put the heater on HIGH to warn the water before i put the fish in.... i forgot to turn it down........ mine didnt make it......

Back
Top Bottom