Cichlid full belly advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsoyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, my strawberry cichlid female has a full belly as you can see in the picture.
İs this eggs and means she is getting ready to spawn ?
Or
Am i feeding them too much ?
İ am feeding 3 times a day with small portions where they completely finish in 10 secs .
İ am asking as i am new to Cichlids.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463460297.050047.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463460310.756103.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the Cichlid is eating then you are feeding too much. My main tank I feed every other day and my spawning or grow tanks, I feed once daily. If the fish is not eating then you have bloat, which is hard to cure.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The full belly is definitely not an indication of spawning activity....If you didn't know your fish is a mouthbrooder, which means they hold the eggs in their mouths.
Just looks like you have a slightly plump fish there. Be careful not to feed foods high in fat content. You don't want anything higher than 8% fat.

....btw I don't think your feeding too much, based on the small portions you've reported & he's not really that fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can add a small amount of Epsom salt during water change to avoid constipation which can lead to bloat. But judging from your picture, I wouldn't worry.

I feed my Malawi cichlids peas once a week or so. They love it and peas are great to clean out the digestive system.

Hi thanks for information.
How do you give the peas?
Do you boil or just wash?
Do you use frozen or fresh peas?

I thaw frozen peas in a cup of water and then de-shell them. You just need to break the skin off of the peas. I don't cook them or anything special, just thaw and peel.

Ok thanks, i will do that

Back
Top Bottom