Cichlid growing at different paces?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Roughly 2-3 months ago, I bought yellow labs for my cichlid tank. They were all very small and roughly the same size. They were about .05 inches if not slightly bigger.

Overtime, it seems as if two had outgrown the rest and it seems as the bigger the two gets, the faster they grow.

I am worried the small labs are not getting any food. How do I even it out if that is even possible.

Would the male pester them if they are double the females size?

It doesn't matter if they're females or subdominant males, some fish will feed more aggressively than others. Just like people some will be fat and some will be skinny, some short and some tall, well you get the point of this. The point I'm making is DON'T try to make sure everyone gets enough, that practice simply leads to over feeding the more aggressive fish and causes way more health issues than small fish. In my opinion over feeding is one the leading causes of death in fishkeeping today(once you get past newbs killing them during cycling).

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if they're females or subdominant males, some fish will feed more aggressively than others. Just like people some will be fat and some will be skinny, some short and some tall, well you get the point of this. The point I'm making is DON'T try to make sure everyone gets enough, that practice simply leads to over feeding the more aggressive fish and causes way more health issues than small fish. In my opinion over feeding is one the leading causes of death in fishkeeping today(once you get past newbs killing them during cycling).

Thanks. That definitely makes sense. But is this size difference normal or even healthy? I'll feed them like I normally would.

Attachments

• image-195225046.jpg
    image-195225046.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2560897333.jpg
    image-2560897333.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3505723082.jpg
    image-3505723082.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 61
But is this size difference normal or even healthy? I'll feed them like I normally would.

Yes the size difference is perfectly healthy. I honestly feel with today's nutrient rich foods(especially NLS) that they are grossly over feeding. Everyone always seems to be so concerned with fish growth that they lose sight of the overall health of their fish, one of the reasons we spend big money on quality foods. Overfeeding can lead to a number of detrimental things in the aquarium, such as fatty liver disease, deteriorating water conditions, loads more all the way down to Planaria.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom