Cichlid help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If we are talking Mbuna which I believe we are, 20 fish that get 3-5" in size is a perfectly acceptable in a 55 gallon aquarium. However there needs to be enough filtration and adequate water changes need to be preformed. Over stocking is a common practice to help quell aggression in the hyper aggressive Mbuna. Saying that it will make them more aggressive is an inaccurate statement and shows a lack of first hand knowledge and research.
As i said earlier, i make my posts vague until the op actually gives some accurate info on the desired fish.
I also stated that it depends on the type of fish. Maybe Mbuna might be fine, but there are other fish that might have other types of conflicts.

As i said earlier, i make my posts vague until the op actually gives some accurate info on the desired fish.
I also stated that it depends on the type of fish. Maybe Mbuna might be fine, but there are other fish that might have other types of conflicts.

Not only are your post vague but wildly inaccurate.

The OP states in about the 4th post on the 1st page
Um probably any African
Which many new aqaurist associate with Mbuna, so giving vague blanket advice at the point when you did was unnecessary and it should have be Mbuna specific advice.

Sir, he stated he wanted africans. That doesn't give me any more info on the species?

Which I just stated that most new Aquarist are referring to Mbuna when they say "Africans". You made no effort to find out what type of "africans" he was referring to but instead just made a regurgitated blanket statement.

Which I just stated that most new Aquarist are referring to Mbuna when they say "Africans". You made no effort to find out what type of "africans" he was referring to but instead just made a regurgitated blanket statement.
I guess? Lets stop this non sense :3

If we are talking Mbuna which I believe we are, 20 fish that get 3-5" in size is a perfectly acceptable in a 55 gallon aquarium. However there needs to be enough filtration and adequate water changes need to be preformed. Over stocking is a common practice to help quell aggression in the hyper aggressive Mbuna. Saying that it will make them more aggressive is an inaccurate statement and shows a lack of first hand knowledge and research.

Depending on the length of the tank, 55 seems OK if thats a 4ft tank. 3ft i think 20 is alittle too many but thats debatable. Foot print makes a difference, as mbuna are a lower to mid swimming fish.

I think the point Mogurako is trying to make is the OP's are asking a specific question and all your answers are cookie cutter vague answers without first hand knowledge of the subject. If the question is vague which is common with new aquarist then it's our job to ask the correct questions to give a accurate answer, vague responses does nothing to help. This type of response doesn't help the OP or the thousands of other people who search the internet for answers that are not members here. This is why it's important to answer the question with accurate infomation, this forum also acts as a archive of knowledge for future aquarist. When responding to a post it's not a race and if you don't have any specific information to the discussion at hand then I'd recommend reading the thread, as this is how we all learn.

I think the point Mogurako is trying to make is the OP's are asking a specific question and all your answers are cookie cutter vague answers without first hand knowledge of the subject. If the question is vague which is common with new aquarist then it's our job to ask the correct questions to give a accurate answer, vague responses does nothing to help. This type of response doesn't help the OP or the thousands of other people who search the internet for answers that are not members here. This is why it's important to answer the question with accurate infomation, this forum also acts as a archive of knowledge for future aquarist. When responding to a post it's not a race and if you don't have any specific information to the discussion at hand then I'd recommend reading the thread, as this is how we all learn.
Hmm. I understood. I'll be doing specific research now:)

Um...well if this helps

I know for sure I want some electric yellow and electric blues
And I'm pretty sure they're labs right?

Depending on the length of the tank, 55 seems OK if thats a 4ft tank. 3ft i think 20 is alittle too many but thats debatable. Foot print makes a difference, as mbuna are a lower to mid swimming fish.

To best of my knowledge when some one references a 55 gallon they are talking a standard aquarium size of 48x13x20 not a cube tank that would be roughly 24x24x24 which would be 60 gallons. I do agree that tank less than 48" in length would be much to small for even the smaller Mbuna.

To best of my knowledge when some one references a 55 gallon they are talking a standard aquarium size of 48x13x20 not a cube tank that would be roughly 24x24x24 which would be 60 gallons. I do agree that tank less than 48" in length would be much to small for even the smaller Mbuna.

"When someone references africans they mean mbuna, when someone references 55 gallons theyre talking about a standard aquarium..."?? I understand your thinking but seems like alot of assumptions to me.

Um...well if this helps
I know for sure I want some electric yellow and electric blues
And I'm pretty sure they're labs right?

Yes they are both Labidochromis caeruleus however "Blue Labs" are a locational variant from Nkhata Bay. Instead of the "Blue Lab" I would suggest Pseudotropheus demasoni or Labidochromis chisumulae. While some would argue that they are to agressive to be housed with labs it's my experince that if the more agressive fish are stocked in a larger number 10+ that will greatly reduce agression. Lots of caves and breaks in line of sigh help too.

"When someone references africans they mean mbuna, when someone references 55 gallons theyre talking about a standard aquarium..."?? I understand your thinking but seems like alot of assumptions to me.

I have to agree with mogurako

Many times I would assume that and then they would say something like african river fish or start naming fish and I'd catch on. So I just wasted a ton of posts and time answering those questions based on assumptions. I try to always ask before hand now

While it may be an assumption on my part, I feel it's a very accurate assumption based on my experience helping people on this forum. Now if the OP said they have a 208 + liter aquarium to work with I would ask what the foot print that tank has. The reason being thats the demensions of an aquarium outside the US tend not to be the same standard demension we have here in the states.

I have 11 in my tank as well as about 30 tiger barbs. They do good. The goal is to over stock the cichlids a little to keep aggression down. But a filter that is over the tanks gallons. For example our tanks Are 55 gallons. My filter is a 75 gallon. Do water changes twice a week. Clean gravel every other.. Gl.

Tiger barbs and cichlids in the same tank, now thats something i definitely wouldnt recommend. Might be OKish now but when the cichlids mature all hell is going to brake lose. Im sorry but you also have way to many fish in that tank bootleg. 30 barbs would of stocked/overstocked a 55, Barbs grow 3inches long. People who over stock, over filtrate to compensate but im affraid a 70gallon filter in a 55 is also very inadequate.

The idea is to choose a filter than can turn over the tank 4-10 times an hour depending on the fish. For example for a 55 wants a filter that can pump 220gph gallons per hour at the very minimum for cichlids. 55 x 4 = 220gph. My eheim 2217 'says' its rated for upto 160gallons. But pumps 264gph, Ive bought 2 for a 65. 2 x 264 = 528gph so 528 ÷ 65g = 8.1 so thats 8x turnover.

Tiger barbs and cichlids in the same tank, now thats something i definitely wouldnt recommend. Might be OKish now but when the cichlids mature all hell is going to brake lose. Im sorry but you also have way to many fish in that tank bootleg. 30 barbs would of stocked/overstocked a 55, Barbs grow 3inches long. People who over stock, over filtrate to compensate but im affraid a 70gallon filter in a 55 is also very inadequate.

The idea is to choose a filter than can turn over the tank 4-10 times an hour depending on the fish. For example for a 55 wants a filter that can pump 220gph gallons per hour at the very minimum for cichlids. 55 x 4 = 220gph. My eheim 2217 'says' its rated for upto 160gallons. But pumps 264gph, Ive bought 2 for a 65. 2 x 264 = 528gph so 528 ÷ 65g = 8.1 so thats 8x turnover.

Lmao I actually didn't ask for any advice. Thanks tho

Back
Top Bottom