Cichlid ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I'm in need of some ID and information regarding a cichlid we have in our 'mixed milawi' tank at work.

I have tried looking around but pictures look so similar! I don't even know if its milawi or African!

There are two in the tank, a little small, bright yellow with a black stripe running horizontally. It also has these little really pretty shimmery speckles all over! I really like how active they are but I want an ID before I even begin to think about saving them!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 135
It's an arautus cichlid not exactly sure how to spell it but that's what it is. I've had them before great fish!!!

Great! Thanks for the quick reply!

Any idea what the tank size for these guys are?
after a quick google search I've seen they are pretty aggressive but the guys in the tank at work seem to get along with everyone :/

Might keep an eye out for some other pretties that come in and post them here!

No they should be good it's a African cichlid and I believe anything of 40 gallon should be good how big is ur tank?

I don't currently have a tank (except my two nanos) but I really like the look of them! Maybe in the future ;)

There are some super pretty blue guys in there too, I'll snap a photo of tomorrow. I hardly doubt any cichlid will happily live in a 20-30 litre haha! I do have my old 3ft tank in storage but our apartment is just too small for it, maybe in the future :p

I'll take it tomorrow when I work! :)

Thanks for all the help!

I have one. Meanest Cichlid in my tank. Tempted to get rid of her. She beats everyone up!

Yes they're brutes! Send pics of other fish and also tank dimensions! It's at work so who maintains it? Do they have experience?

It's just at a local pet chain down here in aus, called pet barn.
We're smart enough to ask customers about their tank size and set up etc and we do inform everyone that these guys are aggressive. If their tanks are not big enough we don't sell them.

The tank is a pretty small one, gonna guess maybe 10 gallons. I didn't get a full tank shot but I will next time I go in there.
They are separated from small and large.

Some more id's for you guys! It's also good for me to know so I can let customers know!

First a little blue stripy guy. He's pretty small.

Second is a pretty blue :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391930357.163538.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391930261.716935.jpg

I've bought one of these from a petbarn in qld and the store I got if from DDNT ask wat tank it was goin in nothing like that aswell as they DDNT know anything about them (neither did I at the time) so I got one anyway and looked up the spec and they are said to be angry fish but not once did it show agression or anything

By we I meant the employees at our shop, sorry for the confusion!
There are 3 of us that were dubbed the 'fish people' me and two others :) I'm not out to sell things but give the correct and honest advice, even if that means saying 'that's too many I wouldn't sell you another'!

Back
Top Bottom