Cichlid id?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was at the doctors and saw this tank, I want to do something similar so I had some questions. First of all is this overstocked?, it's a 50g hex
What type of African are they? Not the parrots
And which are male/female/or juvies.
Thanks :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394579582.767077.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394579597.342279.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394579616.392731.jpg

I don't know the Africans but I wonder why people have to stick parrots in with everything. IMO it throws the whole tank off.

They look like red top zebras and a red parrot cichlid. The tank does look pretty small for that many fish at that size.

That's a lot of male ice blues in one tank and agreed about the parrot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of the really icy blue ones with the orange/red dorsal are males

Depends on where you take them some LFS will give you store credit

Those look like they're a fairly good size. I'd say a LFS would charge at least 20 to 25 dollars minimum on them. You can find them cheaper online, but then you have to pay for shipping.

Nice!! Sounds great thanks. So it's around 25 fish in a 50g in that tank. Is it too overcrowded?

Personally I think it is but as long as it has a good filter and is well maintained with water changes and what not, and aggression isn't a problem it could be okay, not ideal though.

Not only is it not ideal, but that particular tank is completely inappropriate for those fish. Mbuna need a minimum 4' long tank in order to have sufficient room to establish territories, and with the mix they have they really should have a 6' tank. It is also massively overstocked if there are 25 fish in there.

Yeah I didn't look at the shape of the tank. Mine is a 40 gallon long (makes it a 4 foot tank), with 4 Africans, and 20 convicts (which are a mix of fry and adults, I have 3 full grown and the rest are about an inch/ inch an a half or under). And I have a emperor 400 filter with biowheels, I do about a 40% water changes. I haven't had a problem yet.

Now before anyone bashes, I'm trying to get rid of the majority of the convicts, everyone but "big pappa". He's my favourite.

Back
Top Bottom