Cichlid ID...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

britsmith9211

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was told a Ruby Green. If it is what classification does it fall under.

Sorry about the crappy pictures he's so fast and so they turned out bad lol
Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399527077.523571.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399527153.841061.jpg

It's a Victorian hap, definitely not ruby green. Looks most closely to the rock kribensis. Should do fine in a peacock hap tank. I have ruby green in a mixed tank with mbuna and he is one of the more dominate fish in there

Last edited:
It's a Haplochromis sp. ruby green. 100% sure. Lake Victorian. Very aggressive.

Rock Kribs don't have the red bleeding into the dorsal fin like that, and also have a more pronounced forehead.
The coloring will change quite a bit as it gets older into more solid colors, but I am very confident it saying it is a Haplochromis sp. Ruby green.

It's a Haplochromis sp. ruby green. 100% sure. Lake Victorian. Very aggressive.

Aggressive to what standards? I don't believe its a ruby green, a lot of the vic haps look very similar and can vary in color based on mood. The ruby greens I have and have seen do not have that bar down the middle. What makes you 100% sure?

Aggressive to what standards? I don't believe its a ruby green, a lot of the vic haps look very similar and can vary in color based on mood. The ruby greens I have and have seen do not have that bar down the middle. What makes you 100% sure?

The brown bar down the middle is very common especially in younger ones. other signs are the coloring pattern shape of the fins, how far back the dorsal starts and the shape of the mouth. If you compare it to a sp35 or a Makobe the bottom lip is more pointed and pronounced.

A full colored adult ruby green looks much different, which is why it's hard to ID, but in my experience with lake Vic's, that is a staple image of a juvi Ruby green.

In my experience with Vic's they are often confused with other fish as well because they all do look very similar, typically coloring is the only discerning factor, which is unreliable, but position of fins, and mouths are other ways, very very subtle differences.

If you could post a picture of it looking straight at the cam (it's lips) that might help. But I think it is in fact a Ruby green.

Check out livefishdirect.com they have pictures of their locally breed Juvi's.

My profile pic here is a Pundamilia Nyererie Makobe island.

I breed ruby green and python island. Looks nothing like my ruby greens

Do you have pics? I'm wondering if yours were really Ruby greens.
I could be wrong, it's happened before.
That's such a problem with Vic's they are more mislabeled than correctly labelled in my experience. I went through 3 "Makobe islands" before I actually got a Makobe island.

I got mine from my guy who breeds for fish stores and is part of the GCCA (Greater Chicago Cichlid Association) with me, so i doubt he was wrong.

Attachments

• rubygreen.jpg
    rubygreen.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 81
No, that's a ruby green alright. But it's pretty faded.
Really the poster will have to wait and see, they can change colors quite a bit throughout their life, just like a SP44.

Yea he is a full grown adult in a mixed tank, he goes through color changes all the time. All my little ruby greens are just a soild greenish boring color. Same with the ones I've seen from breeders, I have never seen one "fade" as they got older..

Back
Top Bottom