Cichlid ID ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry, this may be tricky since I'm guessing these guys are real young ... they are about 1 inch.

image6.jpg
image9.jpg

Attachments

• image8.jpg
    image8.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 206
  • image8.jpg
    image8.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 208
I was thinking possibly a Kenyi, but the head shape appears to be different. Try comparing the pics and see what you think.

Kenyi is a good possbility - but the head is a little blunter and the fin patterns make me wonder about hybridization. I'm going to put on my thinking cap and see if I can come up with anything else. I love this kind of thing! :)

If the other fish is infact an Auratus, be very cautious. They are extremely aggressive, one of the most aggresive African Cichlids. I have heard stories of the Auratus ripping apart fish twice their size. It's just a aheads up to be careful. Is it a male or female?

It is also a possibility that the other fish is a mix. Try posting on the forum of wwww.malawimayhem.com. The members are great at IDing Africans that are not common. They can also normally spot a mix very easily.

yeah, they were an impulse buy ... currently my loaches are finding great enjoyment at trying to figure out what these guys are (of course being 4x the size of the little cichlids is weighing greatly in their favor)

Well, also you have to consider that the striped is almost surely a mbuna, and they will tear up plants, in general. Your tetras and possibly the otos, even the loaches are possibly at risk with auratus and mature mbuna. You have some time as they mature but this is a very risky mix, IMO.

Yeah, if you just put those in your tank in your sig you are in for some serious trouble in not too long. Those cichlids will eventually take out all of those inhabitants with the possible exception of some of the pleco's.

Oh and on the ID, he definitely looks like a Kenyi mixed with something else, not really sure what else though. Definitely check out Malawi Mayhem though those guys are good as FF said. I'm assuming you purchased him out of an "Assorted Africans" tank, am I right? IF so he is almost certainly a mutt.

The coloration/stripes look like a Kenyi. The tail pattern defiantely looks like the Kenyi. But the face doesn't look like the Kenyi.

I think you're right with the Kenyi ... i say that due to the spot right near the gills behind the eye. Mine all have a blue spot right there. So, it appears my new additions are:

(4) Maylandia / Metriaclima lombardoi
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/m_lombardoi.htm

(2) Melanochromis auratus
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/mel_auratus.htm

Anyone have any recommendations other than take them back. ie: should I add some caves? diet? ... I usually drop in shrimp pellets and algae wafers for my loaches along with new life spectrum ... do you think the shrimp pellets will cause any problems for the cichlids? ... my friend was saying something about meaty foods and bloat ... but I'm ignorant.

I would take them back if you do not have another tank. Mbuna need a veggie diet to avoid bloat, no question about it.

There is nothing you can do to your tank to prevent the inevitable, it is just their nature. African cichlids, for the most part, require their own tank, often overstocked to prevent aggression, and they are not good community tank members. If you like cichlids I think keyholes or some angels would be very appropriate for your tank.

The Kenyi will become aggressive as it matures, especially during breeding. The Auratus is just a beast, will be very aggressive. It will be difficult to feed the Africans with other fish in the tank because of dietary needs. The Tetras do not stand a chance with the Africans.

I second everyone's advice. There's nothing you can do to prevent the inevitable with those cichlids. They will become sexually mature(sooner than you think), and they will kill most of your current inhabitants. Also, any type of food high in protein can cause bloat in mbuna, even some flakes and pellets.
The Auratus is one of(if not the most) notoriously overaggressive mbuna. They are fearsome. I've seen ones 1/3 the size of the other mbuna's in the tank just simply bully everyone around and nip and tear at its tankmates. Sorry, there isn't really another alternative.

OK, a few more questions :

do you guys think the loaches and redtail will be targets? I had some problems in the tank and lost all of my mid-top fish ... save the 2 tetras and the barb ... which is why I decided to try out some cichlids ... I don't mind taking back the tetras and barb (my lfs is pretty good about that).

Now my redtail shark is about 5 inches and hides in this hollow log thing most of the time. As of now, he's the bully of the tank, but he really only bothers the loaches. The yo-yos are also about 4 inches and are usually very active although they will hide in my rock planter. I am mostly attached to my loaches and shark since I've had them for over 5 years each.

What of my plants (you can prolly see a pic of my basic tank layout in my gallery) ... do you think the cichlids will demolish my plants? I know they're herbivores and all.

Also, my buddy keeps telling me that I need to add at least 6 more of these cichlids to keep the aggression down and that now, since they're small is the best time to do it ... any recommendations on that?

Yes, they will damage your plants most likely. It is possible the red tail and the loaches could handle themselves, but that is iffy with an auratus.

Yes, overstocking can definitely reduce the aggression, since none of the fish have a chance to establish a territory to defend. You need to have some serious filtration to pull this off, though, and if you went that route I would stick to species-only and not try to keep the loaches and the shark. If you went with angels or keyholes you could keep the fish you currently have as well as your plants.

IME overcrowding only works when they don't have other fish to pick on. If you put all those fish with the cichlids, the loaches and sharks, I would put their chances of all surviving after the cichlids hit sexual maturity at about 20-25% at the very highest. If you think your shark is aggressive, you have no idea what you are in for once that auratus hits maturity. Also, once they are mature it is likely your loaches and other tank inhabitants will become timid and hide nearly all of the time. If you are really attached to your shark and YoYo's then take back the cichlids.

Also, they are going to be real tough on your plants. They are notorious diggers and spend alot of their time rearranging their tank.

I second TG, look into angels and keyholes. You will be much happier with the results of adding those cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom