Cichlid ID help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashytails

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there! New to the site, I got this little guy to go along with my Yellow Lab. I'm new to cichlids and admittedly should have done more research. What does he appear to be to y'all? He was in the 'assorted tank'. I can post a different pic if needed, bag pics are the worst haha!

Attachments

• image-818641452.jpg
    image-818641452.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 86
Here we go:)

Attachments

• image-610375687.jpg
    image-610375687.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1297351327.jpg
    image-1297351327.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 73
Thanks guys! Is this a decent tank mate for my yellow lab? Anyone have experience with the two together?

Thanks guys! Is this a decent tank mate for my yellow lab? Anyone have experience with the two together?

Def a kenyi. Depending on size could be a male or female. They start the same and makes turn yellow as they mature! Great looking fish but can be a handful. Not ideal for labs but if you have plenty of other fish it could work. They can be nasty!

Def a kenyi. Depending on size could be a male or female. They start the same and makes turn yellow as they mature! Great looking fish but can be a handful. Not ideal for labs but if you have plenty of other fish it could work. They can be nasty!

I plan on adding more, right now it is just these two, because I only had a small tank available and couldn't wait lol. I get a 29 gallon in a few days. Any suggestions? :)

I plan on adding more, right now it is just these two, because I only had a small tank available and couldn't wait lol. I get a 29 gallon in a few days. Any suggestions? :)

If 29 is permanent tank then is really not do either. Def not a kenyi. May be able to do a group of the yellow labs. Like 5 of them but plan to get a bigger tank. A good group for they size tank would be species only like a saulosi or demasoni or clown labs.

If 29 is permanent tank then is really not do either. Def not a kenyi. May be able to do a group of the yellow labs. Like 5 of them but plan to get a bigger tank. A good group for they size tank would be species only like a saulosi or demasoni or clown labs.

Thanks Erik! This is my first go with cichlids, and instead of completely researching and comparing I just had a 'moment' in the store and went for it! Ill work on the kinks:) they did say I can return the KENYI, if I decided they weren't good tank mates , so I may do that.

I had asked in the store if they would go together but I don't think she knew exactly what he was either. At least she did tell me that i could bring him back, so it will all work out :)

I had asked in the store if they would go together but I don't think she knew exactly what he was either. At least she did tell me that i could bring him back, so it will all work out :)

That's cool. Trust me. We all have lotsa learning to do. And the worst thing we can do is have incompatible fish in tooo small a tank. They could be ok together but not in a small tank IMO. You'd prob need a 75. Kenyi especially males can be brutal. I had a female that I had to give back as she wreaked havoc and I had a 72 gallon with lots of fish

Oh and you're best research on your own as the people in the chain stores and lots in the mom and pops too don't know what they're talking about! That's what all of us are for! Lol

That's cool. Trust me. We all have lotsa learning to do. And the worst thing we can do is have incompatible fish in tooo small a tank. They could be ok together but not in a small tank IMO. You'd prob need a 75. Kenyi especially males can be brutal. I had a female that I had to give back as she wreaked havoc and I had a 72 gallon with lots of fish

In my 75g I have 2 and one is slowly fading color so I'm assuming I'm gonna have a male and female but they're not mean at all, my best advice to the OP is just get all your mbuna young and grow them out together and you should be golden. They'll keep eachother in check, I have a hongi island kimpuma that absolutely runs my tank, he's also the peace keeper lol

In my 75g I have 2 and one is slowly fading color so I'm assuming I'm gonna have a male and female but they're not mean at all, my best advice to the OP is just get all your mbuna young and grow them out together and you should be golden. They'll keep eachother in check, I have a hongi island kimpuma that absolutely runs my tank, he's also the peace keeper lol

They are both very small. Do you think when they grow together they are less likely to be aggressive towards one another? I'm hoping the will be like the fox and the hound lol

Back
Top Bottom