Cichlid identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi so I bought this New world cichlid that was labelled under v.melanaurus but I can't find anything online under this name. He's still small on the front half of his body he's sort of light blue and the back half has black spots. Here a photo I know it's not the best will post more after acclimation ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411352299.504504.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm sure it's going to be impossible to tell until it's in a tank and settled in. Right now it looks like it could be a number of species.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright thanks. They also had a female at the shop. Is it risky adding a female to a male? (They were in separate tanks)

Yes, use a divider.

Thank you very much. Just making sure that she doesn't end up getting bashed or something

We also need a shot in the aquarium for positive ID.

Will do :) will finnish getting him acclimated then will take a photo. Heat just going in with some catfish atm

Would you think members of the paratheraps family would be compatible with the australian salmontail catfish (neoarius graeffei) the cichlid seems to be showing a tiny bit of aggression to them but nothing too bad

This is him after being in the tank for 7hours ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411382776.830915.jpg

I was told it looked like a stressed synspilium (sorry if I stuffed the sleeping) also how do I go about sexing it?

Wait for Mog or gillie to come back. I'm not familiar with specifics on this one

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some type of Vieja/Paratheraps fo sure. Will have to wait for it to get comfortable to color up a bit more. Right now it looks like a hybrid, only because it doesn't have any distinguishing color patterns or markings

Oh ok thank you. If I was to get a synspilum or bifasciatum is there a chance they'd get along?

Depends on the sexes of the fish, as well as the individual personalities of each of the fish. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. Vieja/paratheraps will hybridize with other vieja/paratheraps species, and even other species (synspilium are believed to be in the mix that created the abomination known as a blood parrot). The tank size will also play a large role in it, as well as how it's decorated and stocked

Was kind of thinking to keep the all one sex to avoid hybridisation

Back
Top Bottom