Cichlid identification assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjinxed

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone help me identify this fish? I got 3 of them from Petco last weekend and while I can identify most of the others, I can't figure out this one. One of the three looks like it's developing a bit of a blue sheen on the face. IMG_5955.jpg

This is one of many reasons you should never purchase cichlids from pet co...pet smart..pet land etc...the fish come from wholesalers who have very poor ethics in the fish industry...this is what happens when you have years of inbreeding and cross breeding over many fish threw many years...this is why they advertise ***. Cichlids because they dont know if the fish is a aulonocara or hapochromis etc...go on graigslist list and find private breeders or search for cichlid clubs in ur area...what state do you live in

They had black convicts in another tank clearly labeled.

Yea lesson learned about buying from the big box stores. I realized later, after I bought a few others from my LFS, the stark difference in appearance and health.

I buy my cichlids from Florida...they have many wholesalers there...and fish ponds...check it out...some sell to the public...good luck...iam from chicago..too cold to ship

I will get a name of a guy a dealt with before...he is open to the public

100% not a convict, not even Central American. Looks like a female peacock of some sort to me

Agreed about the convict...it does have alot of traces of a aulonocara peacock...probably mixed with a hapochromis..

Thanks - glad it's not a convict. No offense to convicts or convict lovers but I don't like them. :)

I dislike hybrids and cross breeding even line breeding...but a fish is a fish...and who is to say that if my fish is not f0 **wild** or f1 ** first generation** that i can not find and have years of enjoyment out of them...i have alot of private breeders of all different types of african cichlids and they are WAY over the top...just yesterday i said to my fish buddy of 30 years...i love ur dogs...ur 3 dogs are great...yea i love them...they are my buddies he said...are they registered with A.K.A. no they are rescue dogs....he got my point then...

Agree. African Peacock of hap. Looks female, but if the face is developing a blue sheen, it may be a male. Give it time to color up and repost when it's happy and healthy. It may look totally different.

Thanks. I ll do that. It's a different one that has the blue face.

I never thought about how fun it is to watch them grow and develop their coloring. [emoji15] first time having cichlids...

Yeah, especially peacocks. They can be real beauties. Here is a pic of a couple of my favorites.IMG_1183.jpg

Back
Top Bottom