Cichlid Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi pips,

I'm trying to replace my 22' (1xBulb) cuz its very poor light. I'm getting 36' T5 light with double bulbs but I'm not sure which bulbs are the best for my cichlids. I know that cichlids dislike to be under too bright light. So there what they sell 2x 6700 bulbs or 1x12k bulb with a blue bulb, which one should i get?

whatever you prefer. the light does nothing for the fish. i only turn my lights on when i feed on my non-planted tanks. I let the ambient light from the room light up the tanks.

I'd almost lean towards having an actinic bulb and a 10K bulb or the 12K bulb for two reasons.

First, the actinic bulb will help bring out the colors of your fish.

Secondly, I'm assuming that you have African cichlids, so you most likely don't have any live plants. This means that with useable light and no live plants you are going to have algae everywhere! To avoid this you should use an actinic and something outside the range of which algae can use. I'm not sure if 12K is out of that range or not...I know that 10K is on the edge for plants.

Good luck.

Agree with bs6749 on the one light for actinic and one reg bulb, cichlids look awesome under actinic lghting.

Well I didn't get that part about having an algae is possitive or not? and what it does ?

I don't really understand your question, but I think you are asking if having algae is positive and what it does?

Most aquariest find algae to be a nuisance and unsightly. I don't mind some because it makes the tank look natural, but a lot of it isn't good.

bs6749 was referring to the algae not being able to grow in the lighting spectrum they were speaking of.

Last edited:
I heard its some kind of organizm which survive as simly as a live plant by photosynthesis..

I got it now

You guys are brilliant =)

So may be I should keep that poor small light. What do you guys think?

IMHO there is no reason to pay for a big light like that if you dont have plants or anything. Call me cheap, but fish dont need light to grow, so any old light will do as long as it lights up enough to make you happy. but in all reality, there is no need for them with no plants. purely a personal decision. I do agree that they look cool under actinic lights, i have one that i turn on from time to time.

IMHO there is no reason to pay for a big light like that if you dont have plants or anything. Call me cheap, but fish dont need light to grow, so any old light will do as long as it lights up enough to make you happy. but in all reality, there is no need for them with no plants. purely a personal decision. I do agree that they look cool under actinic lights, i have one that i turn on from time to time.

They may not need light to grow, but how are you going to look at them and get the most out of them if you can't see them clearly? Might as well purchase a purple Rubbermaid tub and keep the fish in there because they don't need to see outside of the tank. Actually, that would probably be more comfortable for them as they won't be stressed by sudden movements in the room. It's not about what they NEED, it's about being able to see them clearly and if you are going to have a light (which most would agree is very feasible), then why not go with something that will help avoid something like an algae outbreak, which is almost certain to occur? In my opinion, a $50 light is money well spent considering that it could cost more in time and headache to try and fix an algae problem.

Back
Top Bottom