Cichlid Mouth Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew_GB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Cichlid Emergency

I've just noticed this cichlid freaking out a little. Why would she have her mouth open like this all the time? Is it possible that she has some gravel stuck in her mouth?

Cichlid - YouTube

Since filming the fish looks to be dying :(

What shall I do?

Honestly it looks t like the other fish are gasping for air also. Could be a lack of oxygen exchange due to inadequate surface agitation or an ammonia spike. I would start with a water test and post your results. Maybe a rock caught in its mouth but the other fish are doing it.

API Test Kit
Ammonia: No reading
Nitrite: No reading

Salifert Test Kit
Ammonia: No reading
Nitrite: No reading
Nitrate: Very low, possibly between 1 and 2

JBL Test Kit
Oxygen: >10 (Highest possible reading)

Not looking good...

Attachments

• IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG0410.jpg
    IMAG0410.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 180
Thing is I can't see any rocks inside it's mouth.

How exactly do you want me to check?

Netted it but can't see anything in it's mouth :/

It's very weak now, it doesn't even flutter when out of the water.

The fishes jaw looks dislocated, possibly due to lip locking with another fish. When the jaw is extended like that she(female sajica) couldn't breather properly or eat for that fact. The only thing to try is manually manipulate the jaw back, if not then euthanizing the fish is generally the best course of action.

Last edited:
This was the female which has been moving gravel around to build a cave, which as it happens I was sat on the computer next to the tank watching it, so it could have hurt itself doing that.

I have removed the fish from the tank and had a peek inside its mouth to see if there is anything stuck. So far I can't see anything but it might be easier to see once its dried up a little.

Now I have 2 males and a female zebra remaining, so is this going to cause problems over pairing? Should I go and purchase another female, if I can find one.

Shop looked at this video and said straight away its a broken jaw due to lip-locking with another fish.

Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom