Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cichlid newbie

I just started down the cichlids route ,I have been reading on the net about making the tank more like there habitat ,I have a couple of live plants in there at the present should I take them out and make more hide holes?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank? As for stocking and decor that depends on what type of Cichlid tank you want. There are thousands of species of cichlids, but a broken down into to two main categories, new world and old world. New world is your south and Central Americans. They can vary from a few inches to over a foot. Old world is your African cichlids and these are broken down into three groups mbuna, peacocks, and haps. Any idea on where you want to go with the tank?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
What size tank? As for stocking and decor that depends on what type of Cichlid tank you want. There are thousands of species of cichlids, but a broken down into to two main categories, new world and old world. New world is your south and Central Americans. They can vary from a few inches to over a foot. Old world is your African cichlids and these are broken down into three groups mbuna, peacocks, and haps. Any idea on where you want to go with the tank?
thanks for quick reply I have been sold 2 blue zebras,2 yellow labs 2 rams and two golden Mbuna ,they are all small at present but the minute I talk my wife into letting me get a bigger tank it's done.i was going out this morning to get two more?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2780412794.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	210932

Should I change the layout?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see platys? And the cochlid with the horizontal black stripe is an auratus. They are highly aggressive and will easily kill your other fish. The rams and platys have no business with the African cichlids. I'd return the Africans, keep the rams and wait to do Africans until you can get a 55 gallon or bigger. Otherwise they are going to kill each other.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I see platys? And the cochlid with the horizontal black stripe is an auratus. They are highly aggressive and will easily kill your other fish. The rams and platys have no business with the African cichlids. I'd return the Africans, keep the rams and wait to do Africans until you can get a 55 gallon or bigger. Otherwise they are going to kill each other.
Agreed get those Africans out of there it will become a blood bath in there anytime now.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7 View Post
Agreed get those Africans out of there it will become a blood bath in there anytime now.
cheers for the input will take the advise
Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see ram's in the pic, but the auratus and blue zebras definitely require a much larger tank. The auratus in particular need at least a 75 gallon of their own, or a larger tank if keeping other species like the blue zebras with them. Males claim about 4-5' of floorspace in every direction as their territory. The yellow Lab's aren't nearly as aggressive, and would actually be alright with the livebearers, but they will all eat the live plants. Even the relatively mild yellow Lab's will need a bigger tank when they grow larger, and ideally should be kept as a trio or quad (1m/2-3f).
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I don't see ram's in the pic, but the auratus and blue zebras definitely require a much larger tank. The auratus in particular need at least a 75 gallon of their own, or a larger tank if keeping other species like the blue zebras with them. Males claim about 4-5' of floorspace in every direction as their territory. The yellow Lab's aren't nearly as aggressive, and would actually be alright with the livebearers, but they will all eat the live plants. Even the relatively mild yellow Lab's will need a bigger tank when they grow larger, and ideally should be kept as a trio or quad (1m/2-3f).
they are in there ! I have two one of them swims about while the other much darker in colour hides in the plant.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
For future reference most people break old worlds down into rift lakes and rivers. And riftlakes down to Malawi, Tanganikan, and Victorian.

Malawi example - Mbuna, peacock, haplocromis
Tanganikan example - frontosa, lelupi
Victorian example -other haplocromis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com