Cichlid not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david019

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need advice I have a 2 cichlid I believe it's a venestus, and aristo yellow blaze not eating. It does swim around but it's always goes back in his cave. I raised the heat I treated the water, but it's still not eating. What else can I do?

Need advice I have a 2 cichlid I believe it's a venestus, and aristo yellow blaze not eating. It does swim around but it's always goes back in his cave. I raised the heat I treated the water, but it's still not eating. What else can I do?

Did you test the water before adding the fish?

I'm having a similar problem with a cichlid I got with a tank I bought used. She won't eat the pellets I bought, but she does eat the pellets that came with the tank meant for cat fish. I've also had some luck with frozen brine shrimp.

And what kind of fish food are you feeding them? New Life Spectrum comes in all varietys try the NLS Ther A +A garlic formula my peacocks love it.

Not sure if there males or females. There still juveniles

I had the tank for a month before I put any fish in there

I check everything to make sure water was safe before adding any fish

Yea I have a test kit. Everything is fine.

Did you acclimate them correctly? Usually ill leave new fish in bag for 15 minutes so the fish will adapt to the water temp then ill start pouring a little bit of water wait for minutes then repeat the process until the bag is filled after that release he slowly into the tank

You had them alittle over 2 weeks and they havent eaten since then?

Are there any other symptoms that you have noticed?
Anything physical that looks strange? Bloated? Sunken stomachs? White feces?

Raising the heat for any old reason isnt something to off the bat. It can help with certain illnesses but can have the opposite effect for others where actually lowering the temp could have a greater positive impact. Trying to diagnose is always first thing to do.

Because they arn't eating and you have no idea why, i would isolate them if you have the means to do so. I would personally start by buying some epsom salt. If you cant isolate,add some to the main tank also making sure you dont have any other salt sensitive fish. This will naurally help gill function, reduce stress, hinder some bacterial and fungal growth and i also hear can be a mild laxative which will help them excrete.

Have you kept cichlids before, would you be able to tell physical difference and natural from their unnatural behavior and what are you trying to feed them?

Im not making any assupmtions but if they havent eating in 2weeks i would guess at a bacterial or paracitical illness but assumption have got me into trouble before.

Last edited:
Did you acclimate them correctly? Usually ill leave new fish in bag for 15 minutes so the fish will adapt to the water temp then ill start pouring a little bit of water wait for minutes then repeat the process until the bag is filled after that release he slowly into the tank

I did all all that they were fine. They was eating, swimming. The last couple of days he was not eating but he was swimming and being active

You had them alittle over 2 weeks and they havent eaten since then?

Are there any other symptoms that you have noticed?
Anything physical that looks strange? Bloated? Sunken stomachs? White feces?

Raising the heat for any old reason isnt something to off the bat. It can help with certain illnesses but can have the opposite effect for others where actually lowering the temp could have a greater positive impact. Trying to diagnose is always first thing to do.

Because they arn't eating and you have no idea why, i would isolate them if you have the means to do so. I would personally start by buying some epsom salt. If you cant isolate,add some to the main tank also making sure you dont have any other salt sensitive fish. This will naurally help gill function, reduce stress, hinder some bacterial and fungal growth and i also hear can be a mild laxative which will help them excrete.

Have you kept cichlids before, would you be able to tell physical difference and natural from their unnatural behavior and what are you trying to feed them?

Im not making any assupmtions but if they havent eating in 2weeks i would guess at a bacterial or paracitical illness but assumption have got me into trouble before.

One has a sunken stomach, he seem picky when it come to eating he'll go after the food and then turn away.
The other one looks bloated, I did do research on the bloated one there known to get bloated, it Venetus cichlid
I did put aquarium salt.
I feed it sticks and recently started brine shrimp.
When I first got them they were all fine eating. Then the 2 cichlids just stop eating but they are active and swimming .

Acclimation went out the window along time ago as you've had them 2weeks now and that would effect them for the first few days.

How much water and how often are you preforming water changes may i ask? Is this tank a newly setup, withon the first 1-3 months?

Last edited:
One has a sunken stomach, he seem picky when it come to eating he'll go after the food and then turn away.
The other one looks bloated, I did do research on the bloated one there known to get bloated, it Venetus cichlid
I did put aquarium salt.
I feed it sticks and recently started brine shrimp.
When I first got them they were all fine eating. Then the 2 cichlids just stop eating but they are active and swimming .

Ok sorry i didnt see that you added salt. Weird that they would both stop eating, did you get them from the same tank at the lfs? One looks bloated, what constantly?

Sunken stomachs can be a sypmtom of internal paracites as can lack of appetite. Also a bloated stomch can mean bacterial or paracitical infection. Can you isolate these fish? Its extremely difficult to treat fish for these types of afflictions once theyve stopped eating.

i would use an anti paracitical and also an anti bacterial med, especially if you plan on keeping them in the tank with your other fish as meds in the water might be able to help them but will have a better chance of stopping the spread. Some meds have added ingredients that perk the fish up temporarily which could be just what you need to be able to feed them laced pellets or food.

Last edited:
Acclimation went out the window along time ago as you've had them 2weeks now and that would effect them for the first few days.

How much water and how often are you preforming water changes may i ask? Is this tank a newly setup, withon the first 1-3 months?

Had the tank setup for about a month before adding any fish.
The first and second week I did 40% water changes. This week I'll do a 25% water change

Back
Top Bottom