Cichlid Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark_Bait

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a free 90 gal tank (49"x 19"x 25") and a free Magnum 350 canister filter. I am building a custom stand and canopy with the help of my brother in law who is a carpenter. I will also be creating HUGE slate caverns for the fish. I will be turning this nice tank into a Cichlid Paradise. What I am asking from you is for recommendations on what fish to stock it with. I know ultimately it comes down to what I like but I am uneducated when it comes to what kind of Cichlids are out there. Shoot me some ideas for a colorful and lively tank. Thanks for all your help!!

What's your experience level and are you looking to be conservative with the price. Do you plan on overstocking or doing all male?

^ yes he is right but also what kind of fish maybe Malawi or just all African? Some of Malawi is colorful so I would get a dark gravel to bring them out and also you could do maybe Oscar or jack Dempsey tank so many options!!!

I have had tropical community to semi aggressive tanks for a while now and am experienced enough to keep parameters very stable, safe and comfortable. However, I have ZERO cichlid experience and thats why I'm asking you smart folk. I have done research for about a week now and I know most people say not to mich cichlids from different lakes or parts of the world. I am aiming at mainly africans but if malawi cichlids are more colorful I'd keep them. I will spend a little more on these fish because i plan to keep cichlids for a long time. I absolutley want to use a dark substrate. I hoping black sand if I can find it around here.

If there's a Tractor Supply nearby you can pick up Black Diamond blasting grit for the substrate, $8/50 lb bag.
Malawi cichlids in general are more colorful, main reason they're so popular. Do you want to breed some, of do an all-male show tank for maximum color variety?

I'm honestly open for either. Could I do a majority male tank for color but possible breeding? ( I know you normally do a 1:3 Male to Female ratio to prevent agressive behavior but i didn't know if cichlids are the same?

Ya, 1m/3f is a good ratio. One problem with Malawi cichlids, most of the fry are usually male. It's difficult to get the ideal sex ratio w/out buying large groups to grow out and swapping off the extras. On the other hand, extra males of a wide variety of species are usually available for the same reason.
If you want a breeding group of ruby red peacocks I have some grown out that are just about ready to start spawning. The males are showing color, and will only get better as they mature.
Also have eureka reds, but most of the juvies are younger/smaller than the ruby reds, not sure about sexing them.
Not a good idea to mix species and toss a few females in. The males will be more inclined to fight, and hybrid fry are also more likely. Males will sort out the pecking order with less violence if there aren't females to fight over too.

Back
Top Bottom