cichlid PH and what goes with this cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tap water PH is about 6.6ppm and my tank water is 7.5ppm. it has been set up for a year and thats the same ph it was when i first got it. I was going to do the whole crushed coral thing in the filters but I think i am not going to change anything. As they say, the same PH is better then the PH jumping everywhere. I think 7.5ppm isn't to far from what the african cichlids need. If i were to get the PH up to about 8ppm then when i do a water change i will shock the fish because i dont use buckets, i fill the tank up right from my tap. I am on a well, not city water. I am getting at least 6 electric yellow labs but maybe 8. I wanted the afra cobue orange back but I think it might be to hard to get. what else would go with yellow labs? I want different colors (not all yellow) and at least 3 different kinds (including the yellow labs) There is currently 2 bnp's in the tank and the tank is 55 gallons.

My tap water PH is about 6.6ppm and my tank water is 7.5ppm. it has been set up for a year and thats the same ph it was when i first got it. I was going to do the whole crushed coral thing in the filters but I think i am not going to change anything. As they say, the same PH is better then the PH jumping everywhere. I think 7.5ppm isn't to far from what the african cichlids need. If i were to get the PH up to about 8ppm then when i do a water change i will shock the fish because i dont use buckets, i fill the tank up right from my tap. I am on a well, not city water. I am getting at least 6 electric yellow labs but maybe 8. I wanted the afra cobue orange back but I think it might be to hard to get. what else would go with yellow labs? I want different colors (not all yellow) and at least 3 different kinds (including the yellow labs) There is currently 2 bnp's in the tank and the tank is 55 gallons.

Your correct with the pH issue. Stability is key. So if they've been in that pH for a year then leave them alone. Most fish stores don't maintain proper pH meaning 8.0-8.2 anyway. They maintain a neutral pH

As for stock. You could some red zebras, maybe some cobalts maybe even johanni. I have just about all kinds.

Goggle those and see what you think one thing to remember is yellow labs are considered less aggressive then most so you wanna be careful about what you add. My yellow labs do fine with everything in my tank and never had any issues. My red tops and others are the trouble makers.

Your correct with the pH issue. Stability is key. So if they've been in that pH for a year then leave them alone. Most fish stores don't maintain proper pH meaning 8.0-8.2 anyway. They maintain a neutral pH

As for stock. You could some red zebras, maybe some cobalts maybe even johanni. I have just about all kinds.

Goggle those and see what you think one thing to remember is yellow labs are considered less aggressive then most so you wanna be careful about what you add. My yellow labs do fine with everything in my tank and never had any issues. My red tops and others are the trouble makers.

I have been told red zebra or for thatafter any zebra is mean and also that johanni is mean also. What about a kenyi?

I currently have 4 electric yellow labs, 2 cobalt blue zebra, and 1 red blotch zebra, also two plecos. They eat one pelcos tail bet other then that, the cichlids don't pick on each other. I just finished putting slate in my tank and here is a picture of it. I love it!

ForumRunner_20130309_225256.jpg

I currently have 4 electric yellow labs, 2 cobalt blue zebra, and 1 red blotch zebra, also two plecos. They eat one pelcos tail bet other then that, the cichlids don't pick on each other. I just finished putting slate in my tank and here is a picture of it. I love it!

Nice tank!

Back
Top Bottom