Cichlid Ph's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do i use?

• Sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crushed Coral(rinsed)

• Crushed Coral(un-rinsed)

• Gravel

• Total voters
It only takes about 10 minutes to research all of those fish and figure out which lake they are from.

that is 20 minutes of my time i wasted that i could use on TV

LOL

ill look it up

well, i guess i am going with crushed coral

although i think sand would be nice at the bottom of the tank, but since most cichlids(i think all are)diggers the sand will always be up in the water so i guess crushed coral is where i am going

where do you guys recommend getting some crushed coral?

how did this post turn into 5 pages????

Crushed coral can be found at petsmart/co or any lfs....

You don't have to have the crushed coral as a substrate. Just put it in a bag inside your filter if you want to have sand. That's what I did. And, the sand isn't always up in the water even though they dig. They will dig, spit it back out, and it falls back down, all in a matter of seconds.

ok

i plan on a pair of jack dempseys or those ones that i wanted before

such a hard choice all those fish are beautiful

When I had my Jack Dempsey I kept my pH at 7.0 and it did fine. You will not need any crushed coral if you choose South American cichlids.

Jack Dempsies ARE NOT South American. They are Central American.

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Cichlasoma_octofasciatum.html

The profile implies that they come from a range of waterways and are found in a wide varieties of water conditions. From Soft to Moderately hard and acid to alkaline. Central America has a range of differnt water conditions not just "Soft acid" as found in the amazon.

They will live in hard water but don't need it. Don't go to the expence.
Be careful with Centrals, some do prefer hard alkalline water.

Sorry about labeling them South American. I pretty much clump all Cichlids as either South American or African. Not getting into Central American.

Jack Dempsies ARE NOT South American. They are Central American
Yeah, deep down I knew that, don't know why I called them SAs. :lol: At any rate, they probably don't need crushed coral added to their setup. But I guess that's a moot point, seeing as how he's once again changed his mind on what to keep. :wink:

No they don't need coral Severum. Just that if you had a high pH and wanted jacks, you wiukdn't need to do anything with the water.

Yeah, that's what I said, unless he has some crazy water with a pH of like 5.0 :lol: I never did anything to the water when I kept my JD. I wish I hadn't had to get rid of him, he was a really cool fish with tons of personality. But once I learned how huge he would get, I couldn't keep him in a 55 gallon in good conscience. Too bad I don't have a 75 gallon. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom