Cichlid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kukerdan said:
alot of people are very strict on water paremeters, and mixing this fish with that one, and you cant do this or that, but it always seems that these are the people having problems with fish deisese, fighting, stress etc. so dont get to converned, 7.0 is fine, thats where mine is, and i dont have a single shy, stressed, or injured fish

Ok...so apparently try to copy a your fish's natural habitat is wrong...I do eventually believe you will have problems but then again you apparently do not care what anyone thinks. Your fish many not live as long as

For anyone else that will listen :) : It is a good idea to to try and get a fish as close to its natural habitat as possible.

Just because someone doesn't have problems right at this moment does not mean they will not in the future and I would pick my advice according to this fact.

Good luck with the chiclids

If you add driftwood into your tank will it cause the water to turn a brownish color? Will it lower the pH fast or slow? If you put the driftwood in with other fish will it stress them out?
No driftwood should not turn your water cloudy. It will lower the ph slower than putting chemicals in it. I was not talking about saving fish from a toxic environment. But driftwood is a way to naturally keep a lower ph. Putting in driftwood should not stress your fish any more than rearranging the decorations or adding new decorations.

I do eventually believe you will have problems but then again you apparently do not care what anyone thinks.

my tank has been up and running for 6 months, no fish sickness, no fighting

my only problem was my channel cat started getting too hungry, if you catch my drift, so we brought him to the lfs, which sold him for 25$. as far as ' copying their natural habitat' goes, most of bought fish dont come from a natural habitat, they come from a fish farm/breeder. And a tank , no matter what you do to it, isnt a natural habitat. If i choose to put a wide mix in my tank, each fish i carefully choose, and every fish is getting along, and i havent had problems with agression, whos to say im wrong? theres more than one way to do things

Some Cichlids WILL fight, that is the way they are!!! Some you can keep with other calm peacful fish, some you can not!! Depends on what type of fish and there personalty!! :!: :!: :!:

If you add driftwood into your tank will it cause the water to turn a brownish color?
Yes, wood releases tanins that turn the water brown. Boiling the wood may help, as will frequent water changes.

Back
Top Bottom