Cichlid Rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 20 gallon tank. I'd love to make it a cichlid tank, but I'm not sure if it's large enough. I know I can do rams, (I love the rams in my 55), but I wanted to make this a "true" cichlid tank. Is this do-able? I don't want to over crowd the fish...

Thanks,

Flei

Flei said:
I just bought a 20 gallon tank. I'd love to make it a cichlid tank, but I'm not sure if it's large enough. I know I can do rams, (I love the rams in my 55), but I wanted to make this a "true" cichlid tank. Is this do-able? I don't want to over crowd the fish...

Thanks,

Flei

The only thing I canthink to suggest for a twenty, is shellies. Very cool though. Google lake Tanganyika shell dwellers.

I felt bad by writing "true" cichlids - didn't want to offend anybody... What I should have said was "African cichlids".... I've got a pair of Veiltale Rams in my community tank but I'd like to get some African cichlids. From what I've researched, they have different Ph requirements, etc... so I was hoping to house some small ones in my new 20 gallon... is that possible?

The only " African cichlids" you'd be able to house in a 20 gal is the Tanganyika shell dwellers like someone states earlier. I would start off with two pairs or 8 juvies.

This is the best aquarium forum on the net. You guys rock...

Ok, here's my follow up question(s)...
Can I put a couple of shellies with one or two Pelvicachromis pulchers? I really like both fish, but would there be any combatability issues?

Also, why aren't there ever plants in a cichlid tank? I know they love rocks, but assuming you used the proper substrate (fine sand, from what I've read so far), and had adequate hardscaping, could I have cichlids in a planted tank?

Flei said:
This is the best aquarium forum on the net. You guys rock...

Ok, here's my follow up question(s)...
Can I put a couple of shellies with one or two Pelvicachromis pulchers? I really like both fish, but would there be any combatability issues?

Also, why aren't there ever plants in a cichlid tank? I know they love rocks, but assuming you used the proper substrate (fine sand, from what I've read so far), and had adequate hardscaping, could I have cichlids in a planted tank?

I'm not sure on compatability , but most cichlids will dig. A lot. So plants for most cichlid keepers isn't much of an option. You could always try it. I see lots of shell dweller tanks online that are planted.

Pelvicachromis pulchers can be kept in pairs without tankmates due to aggression while spawning, if your looking at shellies in that sized tank I would do a species only set up for either.

Back
Top Bottom