Cichlid salt and buffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if I should use like API cichlid buffer in my tank. I have crushed corral as the substrate and didn't know if if would over do it or not.

Jason_ said:
I was wondering if I should use like API cichlid buffer in my tank. I have crushed corral as the substrate and didn't know if if would over do it or not.

Have you tested your pH? You may not need anything and I'd try and avoid adding chemicals to your water if you can. Remember stability is key with pH.

Give your pH a test and see where it comes in at. Also test your tap waters pH, I use a media bag with crushed coral in it to help buffer the water. I'd rather not add chemicals if I could.

I've never used ph chemicals as the crushed corral seemed sufficient, just curious about maybe improving the quality for them

I don't add anything to raise the pH in my african tank and my guys are happy, healthy, breeding and obnoxious. If you really want to raise it, adding crushed coral as suggested it the best option.

Come to think of it, I don't use anything in any of my tanks for pH control except my 40b that has CO2 going for the plants.

As Convict stated, stability is the key. Most additives quit working after awhile so you'll have a drop or a spike (depending on which way you're trying to go). Those fluctuations aren't good for any fish.

Myths of pH Shock

I started with crushed corral. Thanks again for y'all's input

There are reasons why its recommended to have your water quality at a levels like these:
Ph 7.8-8.6 hardness 160-320ppm or 9-18 DH temp. 76-85 degrees salinity 1.000- 1.010 minerals: calcium, magnesium, potassium, nickel, zinc, copper etc.. Now these numbers do change in different parts of the lake and these fish can tolerate a very wide stretch of chemistry.

The fish can have problems or just don't act right. Look at this thread as there is a lot of very good info of a person that was having some problems. It was fixed by using cichlid minerals and salt. They are better being in water quality like in nature.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/do-fish-get-high-228004-post2147237.html#post2147237

Just as a heads up from what I've read on the seachem site, their cichlid buffers are comprised of different salts, it looks like they each have an ingredient list on the site for further review.

I think that trace is important, but your particular setup and water source would determine if/how much you'd need.

jetajockey said:
Just as a heads up from what I've read on the seachem site, their cichlid buffers are comprised of different salts, it looks like they each have an ingredient list on the site for further review.

I think that trace is important, but your particular setup and water source would determine if/how much you'd need.

Agreed

It's kinda like my setup
I have natural hard water (well water) I don't add anything but a
Aquarium salt and Epson salt. My house water ph is high so I don't need a buffer as on crushed coral. So everyones setup is different and doing research on the natural water quality is important. :)

Back
Top Bottom