Cichlid - Sandy Bottoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shuu36

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my new 75gal. Tank I am planning on using sand.........Any suggestions are welcomed......I use plant and ocean rocks for decor........nitrates aborbed by hornwarts and anacharis, I have hp filter system.....my tank now is great and so have been any other tanks I owned, however I never used sand..............

I would stick with South American cichlids like angels, rams, apistos, discus.... Most central american, new world, and african cichlids will devour plants.

I'm fine with that....I put plants in so they have plenty of vegetation....I just need to know about sand bottom tanks and filteration for the most part.....my fiance likes angelfish..thank you!

My favorite sand is pool filter sand.. the same stuff they use in swimming pool filters. You can see that I have it in all three of my planted tanks (links in signature) and I also had it in my african cichlid tank. For filtration, canisters are best IMO for tanks bigger than 55g. While a couple aquaclear 110's would be sufficient, a fluval 405, rena xp3, or some model Eheim would be great.

I agree with that the better the filteration the more productive clarity in the environment.......is that silica sand?

Cool beans....I always thought sand would be messy, untill I started looking around at aquariums with sandy bottoms and notice its pretty clean just wasn't sure how to clean them tho...having beauty doesn't come cheap;-)

or, if you're lucky like me and have a Meijer, you can get it for $1.99 for a 50lb bag... I don't think you can get any cheaper than that.

No meijer here......all Walmart now. What abbout that sand they sell at pet shops for cichlids....21$ a bag? I mean don't get me wrong, but has anyone used it?

I do, I use Caribeas Tahitian Moon black sand in 90% of my tanks. It's nice since there is no rising and the balck really brings out the color of the fish.

That's fine for africans, but sounds like you're going to stick with south american, right? If you go with african, then yeah, that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom