Cichlid shyness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So they wont kill eachother over territory because if u put more theres to many to pick territories

Not completely true with. That goes for Africans. SA/CA or new world are different and require different conditions. Most SA/CA will just scrap it out till death. I would add any more fish unless you wanna rehome all you have now and go with said advice above or get a bigger tank.

So Are my rosy red glass barbs still a good dithers for my tank

And so could i get a severem or a smaller cichlid? Or would that be to much cause the tank kinda looks empty with just 3 cichlids

So Are my rosy red glass barbs still a good dithers for my tank
And so could i get a severem or a smaller cichlid? Or would that be to much cause the tank kinda looks empty with just 3 cichlids

Not sure to be honest. I'm not a SA/CA expert or novice. There are others here who are great with SA/CA who will more than likely chime in

This doesn't exist with central and South Americans, they will establish a territory and will defend that territory. Overstocking sometimes works with rift lake tanks, but not south/central americans

Also Nandopsis salvini, Nandopsis tetracanthus and Paraneetroplus argenteus aren't just aggressive they are homicidal!

In all honestly a 55 is just about the worst tank to try and stock. I would stick with 1 species that gets 4-6" as a focal then add some dither and or target fish. Instead of just running around in circles adding incompatible fish. Thorichthys meekie all though standard would be a good beginner fish.

A severum would likely need a 55g tank to itself at a bare minimum. Safe up you cash and get a larger tank, it will allow you to house the 3 fish you already have plus a nice severum and some decent sized dither fish.

Last edited:
So to sum it all up, i cant get any more cichlids ( rainbow, salvini, ect.), and my dithers ( rosy red glass barbs) are fine

However start doing your research now so you'll have a better handle of what fish will and will not work once you get a larger tank.

I still stand by the fact that you should eliminate all but one cichlid species in your tank until you gain more experience with cichlids. The juvenile stage is the easy one, sub-adult and adult is where it becomes challenging, fun and rewarding if you've done it correctly.

Is it harder to keep multiple species of cihlids? Should i just get like 3 of the same species

If i got one pair, would they attack the other fish (rope fish, bristelnose, barbs)

Is it harder to keep multiple species of cihlids? Should i just get like 3 of the same species

When mixing species you have to consider water requirements (ph, temp ect), eventual size of the fish (bigger fish bigger bioload) and the aggression levels of the fish. You are quite lucky to have picked fish that aren't really aggressive but the blood parrot will grow to about 8inches which will take several years and will out grow a 55g.

Back
Top Bottom