cichlid substrate??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k1clem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is the best substrate for cichlids? I was thinking of black gravel or sand but then I seen pool filter sand. Also i was thinking about putting crushed coral in the sump I made for a buffer. I will have about 125 pounds of texas holey rock in there aswell.

Depends on what kind of cichlids... with you saying that you're going to have a bunch of holey rock, I can only assume you're talking about africans. I kept PFS in my mbuna tank and didn't worry with adding buffers and stuff. I didn't keep wild caught fish, so I never felt the need to.

Sorry, yea they are Africans. I have the cichlid substrate now in my 75 gallon but it doesn't look as nice as it did when it was new. Does the pfs turn green? I read on some posts that it gets alot of algae.

mine never did. some people will say that they've had issues with diatoms and this and that, but my experience wasn't like that. I was very happy with it, and still am in the 2 tanks that currently have PFS in them

I use Caribsea's black Tahtian Moon sand and couldn't be any happier, IMO nothing brings out the color of fish like black substrate.

Yea that would be sweet. I seen in a post that black substrate will make your fish darker. That was the first I heard of that.

I use black blasting sand, that retails for around $10 for 88lbs. It is an option if you want black and cheap.

I use Estes' Ultra Reef Black or black and white mixed. It is silica based but has a poymer coating to prevent any brown algae problems.

If you want/need to use crushed coral to increase KH/pH put it in the filter like carbon, not just sitting on the bottom of a sump or something. This will give it much better flow and be much more effective.

It is recommended. The eggcrate should go down first, then rocks, then the sand.

Back
Top Bottom