Cichlid Substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a reason most cichlids tanks seem to have gravel substrate and be decorated with rocks?

I understand they need caves for hiding with their young, but can that be done with lots of wood and greenery, also?

I’m totally new to cichlids.

No, dwarf cichlids are usually pretty good. Other cichlids that won't dig / good with plants are angelfish, apistos, maybe geophagus and discus.

They should really be kept in sand. They are little excavators but that is their natural behavior, why deprive them of that? Rams are open spawners, they'll take right to a flat rock or terracotta pot surface. I've seen them fan out a pit to lay eggs in as well. Some cichlids are also sifters, they'll root through sand and filter out their gills or spit it.

I got a firemouth in a planted tank and never had it tear up the plants. I also have gravel but never see him dig. Might depend on the fish.

My Firemouths don't dig, but my Texas Cichlids certainly do. The TC' s also sift through the gravel substrate for food.

My Firemouths don't dig, but my Texas Cichlids certainly do. The TC' s also sift through the gravel substrate for food.
How is the tempermant of your TC? I've been interested in getting one.

I've got two Texas Cichlids, an adult Green Pearl Scale Carpintis and a young adult Red Texas.
The Carpintis was originally sold as a Red Texas. You can tell the physical differences between the two. The (unfaded) Red Texas is pic #2, totally different shape.
Both my TC' s have aggressive dispositions but are kept under control by their fellow somewhat aggressive tankmates, Firemouths, RIvulatus GT, and some refugee African Haps and Peacocks cichlids I recently acquired.
Buy your TC young and let it grow with other tough fish and things should be fine. IMO, The Green Pearl Scales are the nicest looking natural TC. The Red Texas is a Carpintis ×
Red Devil, or Blood Parrot cross.

Attachments

• 20180709_101559.jpg
    20180709_101559.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180709_101154.jpg
    20180709_101154.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 87
I've got two Texas Cichlids, an adult Green Pearl Scale Carpintis and a young adult Red Texas.
The Carpintis was originally sold as a Red Texas. You can tell the physical differences between the two. The (unfaded) Red Texas is pic #2, totally different shape.
Both my TC' s have aggressive dispositions but are kept under control by their fellow somewhat aggressive tankmates, Firemouths, RIvulatus GT, and some refugee African Haps and Peacocks cichlids I recently acquired.
Buy your TC young and let it grow with other tough fish and things should be fine. IMO, The Green Pearl Scales are the nicest looking natural TC. The Red Texas is a Carpintis ×
Red Devil, or Blood Parrot cross.
They are both nice looking fish but I'm more partial to the one in pic #1. It would be housed with a firemouth, a rainbow, a severum, electric blue acara, and keyhole. I also have some pictus catfish and clown loaches I'm not to worried about.

I'm sure a juvenile Texas Green Carpintis would work into your listed lineup just fine. My LFS sells baby Texas for $2.99 each. Be choosy and don't over pay.

I'm sure a juvenile Texas Green Carpintis would work into your listed lineup just fine. My LFS sells baby Texas for $2.99 each. Be choosy and don't over pay.
That's a really good price. Now you got me interested in pursuing this idea.

As long as you are looking at the Texas Cichlids, might as well check out the baby Green Terrors too. IMO, GT's have more of a fearless disposition rather than an aggressive one. Texas Cichlids have more of a mean streak in them.
I've had this little guy for a few months now. He's quickly becoming one of my favorites. I think he cost about 5 bucks. GT's are slow growers. The biggest male I ever had grew to 9 inches. It took over two years to get there.

Attachments

• 20180713_104159.jpg
    20180713_104159.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 77
Beautiful fish And I also like the less aggressive disposition. I'm not into attempting to make hell razors peaceful. I thought I read somewhere way back that green terror's we're a pain in the a** getting them to not fight with everything in the tank.

I've raised several GT's. IMO their aggression has been exaggerated. This is a pic of my best GT. He was 6 y.o. when he died.

Attachments

• 20180713_135328.jpg
    20180713_135328.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 76
As long as you are looking at the Texas Cichlids, might as well check out the baby Green Terrors too. IMO, GT's have more of a fearless disposition rather than an aggressive one. Texas Cichlids have more of a mean streak in them.

I've had this little guy for a few months now. He's quickly becoming one of my favorites. I think he cost about 5 bucks. GT's are slow growers. The biggest male I ever had grew to 9 inches. It took over two years to get there.

Omg!! Beautiful. I’m gonna need one or three of those

Mike
I think you would do great with a GT. Just buy a baby. Be choosy and pick a flashy one. I've kept GT's with Firemouths, Bolivian Rams, Africans, big Tetras and some heavy hitters like Red Terrors. One male per tank.

Attachments

• 20180720_220107.jpg
    20180720_220107.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom