cichlid suggestions 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TidBitz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am actually jumping ahead of myself here but want to give it some looong thoughts. My hubby has talked me into a way bigger tank 55g from 37g tall now I am excited due to finding one with the works plus sand for 100 bucks I know I need to let it cycle but am also saving most of the water from original set up. So since I am so used to the molly n platy please give me some insight and fish thoughts hubby wants bright vibrant fish.

It's easy to have color in an African cichlid tank! The easiest fish that will add color to your tank and can be found in just about any pet store is the Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus). I also love the Acei (Pseudotropheus sp.). They complement each other well in color contrast and have similar 'semi-aggressive' temperament.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with cichlids, but there are primarily two rift lakes (there are others) many hobbyist use: Malawi and Tanganyika. It's best to keep Malawi or Tanganyika in your tank and not mix the two. In my experience, a lot of the fish in pet stores are Malawi and Malawi cichlids are what I'm familiar with. Lake Malawi cichlids can be subdivided into three groups: mbuna (rock-dwelling), Haps, and Peacocks. It's best not to mix these different types. Mbuna are my favorites.
There are SO many different species. Kenyi, Bumblebee, Auratus, Red Zebra to name a few, and all those are pretty too (more aggressive).

Thank you for your suggestions, I picked up the tank today an will start the cycling tomorrow, I also want to get an external filtration best used with sand if there are any good suggestions for me there. It came with a waive maker/filtration system (which I am totally new to) max-jet 900. I also received two fish that I need Identified I will add in the identification thread. He told me what they are and can't remember for the life of me. Again thank you for all your help.

Thank you I will look into them also. So far it looks like I have adopted a Red zebra.... 000000ps...... and unknowner and a pair of unknowners came with the tank.

We are off in circulation still pretty foggy but is clearing up by the hr. Before adding any thing I'ma use some 1.00 fish to help cycle. My new pump is on its way as well as brand new lighting. (Used my 37g light) poor mollies n platties are saying hey " hey I can't see the light".

ForumRunner_20121205_173615.jpg

It's easy to have color in an African cichlid tank! The easiest fish that will add color to your tank and can be found in just about any pet store is the Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus). I also love the Acei (Pseudotropheus sp.). They complement each other well in color contrast and have similar 'semi-aggressive' temperament.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with cichlids, but there are primarily two rift lakes (there are others) many hobbyist use: Malawi and Tanganyika. It's best to keep Malawi or Tanganyika in your tank and not mix the two. In my experience, a lot of the fish in pet stores are Malawi and Malawi cichlids are what I'm familiar with. Lake Malawi cichlids can be subdivided into three groups: mbuna (rock-dwelling), Haps, and Peacocks. It's best not to mix these different types. Mbuna are my favorites.
There are SO many different species. Kenyi, Bumblebee, Auratus, Red Zebra to name a few, and all those are pretty too (more aggressive).

So just found out what my two fish are that came with tank ( Tropheus) which leads to a problem I also found out the lil guy I adopted is a Red Zebra. What to do what to do. One is gorgeous and the other two are gorgeous and fun to watch.

The tropheus pair are going to NDA this weekend, there is me a start on credit for when I am ready for fish, if I have time I am going to the library tom. to do some studying on all your suggestions.

Tidbitz where do you live . I live in Washington state and I was telling you about those flamebacks and my female is holding . So if your interested let Me know I will be able to hook you up with some freebies..

Tidbitz where do you live . I live in Washington state and I was telling you about those flamebacks and my female is holding . So if your interested let Me know I will be able to hook you up with some freebies..

I am very interested I'm sending a pm

I have finally talked my hubby out of the cichlid, we went and looked different breeds and lake groups, though they are gorgeous fish I'd prefer not to put my corydora at risk and the feeding needs are different than what I am used to. We are going with a BGK which we both picked out and assorted tetra.

Back
Top Bottom