Cichlid suggestions for a 29 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrispyCam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone make suggestions for cichlids that would be happy in a 29gal tank? I know my tank is a bit small for cichlids, but I've been told if I pick them carefully they should be okay.

I set up my tank with a whole bunch of rocks and caves and the substrate is small gravel. The water pH is 7.8

My tank is empty right now (still cycling that is) so I have sometime to think about how I'd like to stock it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KC

hi Crazee, yeah i was thinking africans... my water is fairly hard and alkaline. I tested the water lastnight and the pH is around 8 and dH is 10.

KC

I wouldn't worry about types so much as amount. African or south americans doesn't really matter. They will live together and once territory is established(very quickly) they will leave each other alone. Inches of fish to gallon ratio is very important with cichlids and should be kept in mind. Keep in mind how fast cichlids grow (ours started out at about 1-2 inches and in 7 months are 7-8 inches). Buy a couple good looking ones now and nourish and care for them so in a couple months they still fit in your tank.

-Dan

Some of the tanganyikans might be a better choice for a tank of that size since there are a larger variety of smaller sepcies, or maybe some of the african rivervine cichlids like kribs, T.brichardi, S. tinanti etc.

personally, the N. multifactius are a great african cichlids. They stay very small, and all you have to do is put several shells in the tank, and they will redily breed in a tank that size, even as small as a 10 gallon. These fish will give you hours of amusement arguing with each other over shell, and scooping mouthfuls of sands and dumping it on other's shells. have fun!
Ben Driscoll

Back
Top Bottom