Cichlid tank...freshwater refuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisbraz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know refugiums are used in saltwater tanks but can it be done for freshwater as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea just like you do for sw...I just never heard anyone doing it. Any idea on what kinda plants to use?

I have a wet dry filter...would it not be any help to add as well? I'm setting up a 125g peacock and hap tank...

Actually adding large quantities of hornwort in a refugium-style filter could be beneficial in removing nitrates in a tank where the fish would normally tear the plant apart, or it would look out of place

I run a wet dry into a 29 gallon planted fuge from my 180 African cichlid tank. Even fully packed out because of the heavy bio load and massive amount of water the plants really don't do anything for me.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But you still keep the plants in your fuge?

I looked up hornwort it also referred me to water sprite.

Yes I just put trimmings in there now before I sell them off. It was a waste to just leave it planted. If I actually wanted to make a dent in my trates I would have needed a bigger tank than a 29. Nothing works better than water changes

Well that's kinda a bummer...was hoping it would be as beneficial as a saltwater fuge. I'm pretty religious with my water changes anyway, will just have to set up an auto water change when time and money permit lol...more money than anything really!

Might work for you depending on the two tank sizes. Plus if you wanted a planted tank it would still kill two birds with one stone.

I ran a water line over my tank in hopes to do an auto water changer due to the size of the tank. But still haven't got around to finishing it after 4 years

That would be awesome to just do another tank lol. IBe seen something similar to what your talking about but it was a saltwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom