Cichlid tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 60 gallon tank (fishless cycling now) and I'm having the toughest time trying to decide what rocks to use. I really want a darker rock and I've looked at river stones, slate, lava rock and wood. Is there a benefit to having say river rock over lava rock, or is is just a personal preference?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Meave said:
I'm setting up a 60 gallon tank (fishless cycling now) and I'm having the toughest time trying to decide what rocks to use. I really want a darker rock and I've looked at river stones, slate, lava rock and wood. Is there a benefit to having say river rock over lava rock, or is is just a personal preference?

Try bog wood it would look more natural

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

But to answer your question the only benefit for certain rocks to raise or buffer the PH levels of some fish that prefer that(altought I dont believe that) but it's really personal perference which is why every tank looks different. I choose my rocks based on substrate color for some contrast like lighter sand I'd use darker stones of vice versa.

Last edited:
Meave said:

I have some sandstone in my cichlids tank. Looks great and they love them :)

Back
Top Bottom