Cichlid tank recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

castlerock31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently started up a 38 gal tank. All my fish are under 2" now but i am aware that I will have to move them to my 55 gal as the tank matures. The tank setup seems to be working well and I would like to start adding more fish. My goal is to have them all in the 5-6" range with the exception of the barbs.

Ammonia -0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate -20
Chlorine -0
Hardness -Hard
Alkalinity -High
pH -8.0
Temp -76

Currently have:
6 tiger barbs
2 female auratus
2 acei
1 Jewel

Looking to add:
1-2 Red tail shark
1 female auratus
1 male auratus
1 Bumblebee
3 convicts

I have heard that two sharks will not live in the same tank, but I have seen quite a few people accomplish it. Do you think this will be a problem? I am also aware that the convicts are South American cichlids, but they will have ideal conditions in this tank and match the size parameters. The tank is heavily decorated with rocks, I will upload a photo later. Thoughts, Questions, Concerns? Thanks

The two concerns I have you are already aware of. Two sharks and mixing cichlids. I am guilty of doing both of these and it cost me terribly. Both in money and heart ache. Just when I thought I had "accomplished" the near impossible they turned on each other and all heck broke out. I ended up losing too many beautiful fish that I had since they were babies :-( If you decide to attempt it mainly because others have had a successful experience, ask them first how old their fish are and how long they've been homed together and in what size of tank. I hope you make out better than I did.

I purchased the two red tail sharks. I think they will manage since the tank is so heavily decorated. I'll just have to hope no fights break out in the future. What about the selection of cichlids, would red zebras go well along with everything else?

ForumRunner_20130324_190119.jpg

I had my sharks in a 65 gal tank tonnes of hiding spots, all raised from babies when they grew to the 5"-6"mark that's when they started ripping into each other. Based on my experience I can not stress enough to you that it's NOT a good idea. So many people told me the same and I ignored them thinking if I got them young,made lots of hiding spots,had a bigger tank..yadada Hind sight I should've listened to the people who opposed the idea. Same goes for mixing. I'm sorry its not what you want to hear but that's my opinion based on my experience.

Well I appreciate the advice. You think the convicts will have a problem with the African cichlids?

First I would recommend you go to a 75g over the 55. Same length and height just deeper at 18". All around a better footprint. I wouldn't mix new world and old cichlids. They require different water quality ph being the major one. Not to mention aggression. It will end badly. Hope it helps

Well, you are absolutely right. I had heard that they had similar water needs but my pH level would be too high for them. I agree a 75 gal would be better, but I have a 55 already. I specifically chose fish with a 6" cap for that reason. I have also read that overstocking cichlid tanks tends to work quite well even though I'm only looking at about 65" of fish for the tank. In regard to the specific African cichlids then do these sound like good numbers

3 female auratus
1 male auratus
2 acei
1 jewel
1 bumblebee
2 red zebras

I am also not sure of the sex of most of the species. I don't think it should be too much of a problem though. Thank you for all the responses too, this is a very helpful site

Back
Top Bottom