Cichlid tank setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought a 29 gallon aquarium and I'd like to put one or two cichlids in it. I am totally new to cichlids and want to do everything correctly. I know 29 gallons is fairly small for a cichlid tank but I believe it can be done without overstocking and finding compatible cichlids.

I plan to have an electric yellow and one Acei. They're both mbuna cichlids and I've read they will do well with each other because they're mbuna and because they're both only mildly aggressive.

I've read that the electric yellow likes a sandy bottom like that of a lake shore and the Acei likes more rocks like on the rocky lake bottom. Can I use gravel on one side of the aquarium and sand on the other? Is that best for this pair? Thoughts?

I plan to do lots of rocks formations and caves on one side but only a few rock formations and one cave on the other in case they're territorial. I know I need lots of things that obstruct like of sight for when they're chasing. Does that sound okay?

They both need a higher ph level. I know the fish store aquariums are usually at 7.0. I plan on raising it to 7.8. If I add slate and limestone plus a sand substrate on the sandy side will I need to add any chemical ph raiser? I don't want to shock the fish because I know the store aquariums are 7.0 so I'll add one piece of limestone and slate at a time. Sound like a good plan?

I'm not getting the cichlids until 6 weeks from now. I want to make sure the bacteria/nitrate cycle has run it's course first. I just want to get things planned out.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's how I started and I have both those fish now. Very nice ones. They do like that Sandy substrate because they sift a lot. But gravel won't hurt I have gravel in two tanks. I even have a sand and small pebble mix in my 29. And you have done your research well. They need lots of places to hide and roam but with the two I think you'll be okay with your plan.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The fish are not that specific about the sand and rocks. Just put them in the tank the way you like.

That being said, a 29g tank is really not suitable for mbuna.

I completely agree with Dalto. Yellow labs require a minimum of 40 gallon breeder IMO, and Acei really shouldn't be in less than a 4' tank, preferably a 75 or larger.

It's not about overstocking, a shorter length doesn't give them a chance to get away and if territorial / aggressive will harass other fish endlessly. Maybe a couple yellow labs would be ok as long as it's 3' footprint? Acei can get 6" so might be a little too big.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you pair two yellow labs though? I read that they're extra aggressive with fish that look similar.

I have read the electric yellow school sometimes. Anyone have experience with this?

I may just get one cichlid if the smaller tank will instigate situations with another cichlid.

I am sorry but your tank is too small for mbuna. It is too small for even a single individual.

There are dwarf cichlids from south america and west africa which could work in that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom