Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #1

Cichlid Tankmates

Hello,
I have just switched out my forty and fifty five gallon tanks. Now I have a fresh, amazingly looking fifty five with only four cichlids. I have agronite sand substrate, has already settled. Plenty of slate and sandstone rocks and the tank's water was not switched. So about two years worth of bacteria on the medias etc. The PH is at about 8.0 and everything is working smoothly. Anyway to the point, when I switched the fish from the forty. I had planned earlier with the forty to breed Sunshine Peacock Cichlids. I got rid of two females, and now I have 1 male and 3 females. My question is "Can the females stay, because I want other species in the tank as well", "will they crossbreed", "will there be aggression?" I'm okay with taking out the females and trading them at my local fish store.
Thankyou

Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the females can stay - you just have to watch out for who breeds. they will be perfectly happy to crossbreed. there may be aggression issues, if you get a mean fish out of bad luck. if you want more males you have to stock up the females. you could go for all male tank which looks awesome, but there will be no babies

what fish are you wanting to add? x

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

Hi there,
I just talked to my local fish store and I found that my females are okay to stay. I bought a pair of Venstrus, I think that's what they are called. I'm thinking about a pair of yellow labs to. What other species would do well, trying to stay around 0-55 dollars a pair.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal the Bichir
Hi there,
I just talked to my local fish store and I found that my females are okay to stay. I bought a pair of Venstrus, I think that's what they are called. I'm thinking about a pair of yellow labs to. What other species would do well, trying to stay around 0-55 dollars a pair.
The venustus get fairly large for your 55g,they are cool fish though...had 1 in my 55g and had to rehome him..I also have 5 yellow labs,I think you'll like em a lot..
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Venustas will get to 10" when fully grown.A 55 isn't big enough for a fish of that size imo but they are very pretty and graceful fish.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #6

That's what I get when I ask the lady what will do well. Looks like their temporary residents now, lovely.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow labs are a awesome pick though!!! I got 4 (maybe more!)
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow Lab's are best kept in groups, same as the peacocks, but are impossible to sex w/out venting. I keep a group of Synodontis multi's in a 75 with my breeding group of eureka red peacocks. The females alternate between releasing cichlid and catfish fry, some of each from each round of spawning. Alternatively, Synodontis petricola or lucipinnis are also good tankmates that won't hinder peacock fry production. They're also best kept in groups of 5 or more, juvies are usually available pretty cheap.

Tags
cichlid, compatability, ich, peacocks, setup, tan, tankmate, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com