Cichlid vs. Beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More than likily it would kill the platys and guppies and I wouldn't try it at less you have another tank to put the Betta in.

I Definately don't want it to kill the platys or guppies! I've been breeding them and might try and sell a few of the fry once their older. Maybe I should just wait until I start up my planted tank?

I have found that male Betta's tend to be aggressive towards other fish that have flowing fins. They see them as competition. I recently put 5 raspborahas, 6 neons, 2 marble hatchets, and 2 ottos in my 12 gallon, and other than the first 5 minutes, there has been no aggression from him.

Makes sense, none of my fish really have long fins other than my guppies tails. Would that be seen as competition ?

You don't want to have any fish that are the same color as the Male Betta. My experience with them has been pretty good, until you add fish of the same color. Fin nippers will agitate them as well!

I'll make site they're a different color then if I get one! And my black tetra and blue and red tetras are a little nippy? Would that set the beta off?

The Red and Blue Tetra may get very nippy. They do best in large groups like all Tetras and even then can be naughty.

How large is your tank ?

I'd fill out your current groups before adding another different fish.

Cory Catfish are very social. As are your Neons.

Bettas vary widely in behavior.

I have a 26 gallon tank, and yes the blue and red tetra can be nippy sometimes to my other tetras.

Betta do ok in community tanks with other fish as long as you provide ample space and places for them to hide and "own". Cichlids are similar in nature, but much bigger and faster- plus they will eat anything they can fit in their mouth.

Well, not all betta can be kept in a community situation. I have one male that will not let anything but plants and one piece of driftwood, but I also have kept several betta (only one male) and many schoolers together as well with no trouble, however because of their nature and the fact that both betta and cichlid are nippers and prone to infection, disease and fungus this idea sounds like a terrible massacre in waiting....

Betta do ok in community tanks with other fish as long as you provide ample space and places for them to hide and "own". Cichlids are similar in nature, but much bigger and faster- plus they will eat anything they can fit in their mouth.

Well, not all betta can be kept in a community situation. I have one male that will not let anything but plants and one piece of driftwood, but I also have kept several betta (only one male) and many schoolers together as well with no trouble, however because of their nature and the fact that both betta and cichlid are nippers and prone to infection, disease and fungus this idea sounds like a terrible massacre in waiting....

So I should pass on the betas? I'm definitely getting a few cichlids once I get my new plated tank up and running. I'm going to transfer all my fish in the community over to the planted tank and then put a few fright cichlids in my old community. I heard cichlids tear up plants so that's why I don't want them in the planted tank. And about how many cichlids do you think I could put in a 26 gallon tank when I do 50% water changes once a week?

In my experience, yes, cichlids will tear up plants, even in potted plants were used as soccer balls and the 2 oscars I had made sure that every leaf was torn off at night... That being said- there are smaller "shell dwelling" cichlids, apistos and kribs that do ok in planted tanks... EVERY cichlid is an individual... With that sized tank I'm afraid you are limited on what you can get for cichlids....

I know I say this a lot, but liveaquaria.com has a good amount of references on different types of cichlids and plants. I wouldn't take their word as God, but it can give you see ideas. There's a lot of sponsors here that have excellent profiles. Fishbase.org is pretty extensive as well.

Back
Top Bottom